Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ribble 7005SL with carbon stays… Anyone?
  • cookeaa

I’ve been browsing about looking for a new road bike frame and happened upon the 7005SL, which ont the face of it seems like rather good value…

The compromise of An aluminium front end with a composite rear, for the price ribble are asking, might well be one I could live with, anyone had one/ridden one care to comment?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Pics

I’ve got a similar sounding bike. The stays are bonded with a big block of aluminium at the BB. The front mech cable passes through here and frays, then snaps.

I’ve bought an elongated plastic guide from eBay and I’m going to drill the frame, but I’d be interests to see Ribbles solution to this before I do. (Assuming it is the same)

stevious

I’ve had one as my only road bike for 4 years now and on reflection I think I’d rather go with a pure alloy frame. I don’t think the carbon stays do what they’re supposed to do and the frame creaks annoyingly at the seatstay/seat tube join. The frame is also quite flexy (I’m a light fellow but can SEE it flexing when it’s on the turbo) and IIRC heavier than an alloy frame. Oh, and there isn’t enough clearance in the frame to even run 25mm tyres or crud raceguards so it loses a bit of versatility in winter.

I should add that I’ve ridden the thing about 30,000km and it’s been fine to ride, but I’ll be replacing it next winter with something alloy through and through.

stevious

Oh and I haven’t experienced the issue that Paul ^^^ has. Front mech is fine.

cookeaa

Interesting stevious, they do it as a carbon seat stay only version and as a carbon seat and chainstays would the seat stay only version might be a better option perhaps a shade more stiff but still have the seat stays kill a little buzz?

The limited tyre clearance doesn’t sound ideal either, you’ve not really sold it to me there…

I’d sort of been attracted to the 7005SL as an alternative to a full carbon frame, which are quite competitively priced too but still perhaps a shade more than I really want to spend…

stevious

I think it’s an idea that looks good on paper but doesn’t really work in the real world. A similarly priced alloy frame would be better value IMO.

Or spend the money on carbon. Because it’s better.

chief9000
    Free Member

Or spend the money on carbon. Because it’s better.

Better for bike companies who make stack of cash from these things

Not better for guy who pays way over the odds for something that comes from Taiwan for 250 dollar 😆

deviant
    Free Member

I have the full aluminium 7005 ultralight….buy that instead, it looks too racy on paper; short head tube, horizontal top tube etc etc but it works really well…i came from a Spesh Allez which is supposed to be a good Alu frame but i thought it was awful, the Ribble one is so much more comfortable…and lighter too.

cookeaa

I did notice the ultralight too, how does it ride? is it comfortable? What effect does the bigger seat post dia have?

I’m coming from a Carrera and looking to change the frame, ideally I want more comfort for longer rides (hence the SL with carbon stays appealed) I’ll just be transplanting parts to start with (bit of a triggers broom exercise).

I hadn’t really made up mind about frame material or even if I was too concerned about weight, but b dget will be a constraint and it will only be getting a mixture of Tiagra and 105 bits and no fancy finishing kit either, at least not to start with.
    The old carrera has actually lasted me about six years, bought Just as a commuter but I’m enjoying road riding more now and noticing its shortcomings more and more, so I want a VFM basis for a road bike for the next few years of riding.

I’ll probably want it to go for at least the next five years or so, Carbon isn’t out (especially at ribble’s sort of prices) but I’m not sure I’d benefit all that much from it And the ~£200 difference could end up going towards other parts…

Hmmm food for though, cheers all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ribble 7005SL with carbon stays… Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.