Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rib of beef help, use by date?
  • gj78
    Free Member

Bought a 2 bone rib of beef just under 3kg from Tesco yesterday (half price), I asked the ‘butcher’ if it will keep until Christmas day. He said yes it will be fine, put it uncovered in the bottom compartment of the fridge and drain the blood every now and then, it will turn darker in colour but will taste great. When I got it home I saw the use by date was the 19th dec. Is this going to be good to keep for 5 days past its use by day?

scotroutes

This is a bike forum.

Ask a butcher?

Stoner
    Free Member

you can keep it for weeks.

My forerib was slaughtered over 4 weeks ago, I collected it today, and cooking it on Sunday. It could last another week or so after that if it wanted to.

As said, keep it uncovered (or under a cheesecloth/muslin), dont let it sweat in plastic. The purplier it is the nicerer.

Drac

The purplier it is the nicerer.

gj78
    Free Member

Thanks stoner, much appreciated!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Agreed. Use by is mostly rubbish health and safety cover my arse stuff. The mark 1 nose was designed to detect “off” food

gj78
    Free Member

scotroutes Forgive me I thought this was askabutchernotabikeforum.com

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

You will die, this is a fact.

Stoner
    Free Member

nom.

Drac

/jumps in car and heads south.

boblo
    Free Member

Bloody hell Stoner, I hope you’re hungry 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

That’s only 3/4 of it. I took out the ribeye of the last rib to freeze for steaks next month.

It’s a hell of a treat, only done once a year.

If buying a forerib, I dont see the point in buying just half of one. If your man is going to Carvery cut it in the first place, it makes sense to get the whole one as all the hard work has been done.

Bazz

I am a butcher (amongst other things), it’ll be fine as long as you follow what the guy in the supermarket told you, you could also put it on some kitchen roll and change it daily to stop any blood spillages.

If where you are is chilly at the moment and you have a secure garage/out building then you could hang it in there from the ceiling and put a bowl underneath to catch drips, however down here in the balmy south i think it would be a bit warm at the moment.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bloody hell Stoner, I hope you’re hungry

My thoughts exactly, or he has a lot of friends and family

globalti
    Free Member

Yes keep it cool and dry and it will be fine. Good steak is hung for three weeks.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Good steak is hung for 4 weeks – supermarket rubbish is hung for 3 or less.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rib of beef help, use by date?’ is closed to new replies.