Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rhayader ride – a few pics
  • Alex

Last time was in a snowstorm, time before that was in a thunderstorm. Today was quite nice.

Made by nature, shaped by man by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Heading into the valley by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

PA061683 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Wall Ride by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

How are you feeling? by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

View from the hill by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Classic Wales Bog Crossing by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Slate climbing by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Gay-Rollers in the mist by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

PYGA by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Gully descent quite exciting, double rocky track back to Rhayader extremely exciting. Lots of tough climbing on soggy grass as well.

Proper old school XC. Ace 🙂

bikeneil
    Free Member

Those photos bring back great memories. Thanks for posting.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Good pics – the great Summer is extending into a great Autumn!

I used to work in the Elan Valley a long time ago, long before i got into mountain biking. I could be tempted for a return trip to give it a try!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    psling
    Free Member

I was there a couple of weeks ago, also in fair weather. It’s a great area if you like big ‘out-there’ rides.
    Mind you, given that the water from the reservoirs falls all the way to Birmingham by gravity I can never understand why there are some nasty little *##*!@# uphills between the Visitor Centre and Rhayader which just hurt mentally and physically when all you want to do is freewheel into town after a big day in the hills 😳

Alex

There’s definitely not a lot of respite. It’s been so dry everywhere as well, I’d forgotten what riding up streambeds and through bogs was like. All good fun tho. Definitely more fun than when we were caught up in a snowstorm a few years back!

chrispo
    Free Member

It’s a great area to ride in. Next time consider taking the Claerwen reservoir track across to Strata Florida and do the Tywi Track (Splashes). Best fun ever IMO. Makes a big ride though.

rob81
    Free Member

I was there too today. Back in Suffolk now and missing the hills. We had a best ride this morning – great weather and stunning views. I did Knighton to Rhayader yesterday and feel it in my legs today…

Ambrose

Chrispo- The Tywi track is wonderful isn’t it? I’m lucky enough to live close-by (by some standards anyway) so can ride it whenever I need a boost- it reminds me that the world really can be filled with fun- at least some of the time. I’ll be spending a weekend bothying there soon too.
    Bendigedig!

chrispo
    Free Member

Yes, the Tywi fords/puddles really bring out the inner child. Especially when overtaking the 4x4s!! Not sure I’d want to take my new bike through them though until it’s a little less shiny 😉

The Llanerchi woods descent from the weather station is also a cracker, and the bridleway along to the Claerwen dam is like a mini Tywi Track (wet feet guaranteed). Coming down off the moor from Drygarn does it for me too. It’s all stunning on a nice day, and a bit spooky when the mist is down. Love it. All of these are segments on the following ride I did recently: http://app.strava.com/activities/77985352

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rhayader ride – a few pics’ is closed to new replies.