Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • RFID tags
  • ratherbeintobago

Having seen a few threads on stolen bikes recently, I was wondering – does anyone tag their bikes with RFID tags, such as Immobitag? Are they worthwhile?

Andy

tomdebruin
    Free Member

I have immobitag on all my bikes. Not sure if they're worthwhile, I've not had these bikes stolen. They'll only work if the bikes are recovered and scanned.

What we really need is some kind of GPS tracker. With a 10 year battery. Or gets charged off the bottom bracket.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

got immobitag on 2 bikes as I had vouchers for wiggle. cant say whether they work as (fingers crossed) they havent been nicked. They come in a plastic plug designed to fit in the seatpost but (1) they dont fit in large seatposts and (2) that only protects the seatpost not the frame! I prized the "chip" out of the mount and epoxy-glued it into a frame tube via the BB shell.

you can (and should) register your bike (and everything else) on http://www.immobilise.com. Many police forces do check this database to identify potential stolen property. In one custody suite I have visited every mobile phone brought in by a detainee is checked on the MEND database, a phone-specific subset of the immobilise database.

Crime recording databases are held by individual forces, so if your bike was stolen and recovered in a different force area (which might only be a few miles away) it will never be identified as yours unless it is registered on a national database such as immobilise.

dmiller
    Free Member

Crime recording databases are held by individual forces, so if your bike was stolen and recovered in a different force area (which might only be a few miles away) it will never be identified as yours unless it is registered on a national database such as immobilise.

Now thats a top tip! Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘RFID tags’ is closed to new replies.