• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by stuc.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • RF Next SL cranks – still dodgy or now sorted?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve been cogitating bike upgrades recently but seem to recall the Next SL have had problems in the past – pedal inserts?

Does anyone know – or can proffer a STW opinion – if they are sorted on the latest G4 version?

Or is the SixC version a better bet, which seems less delicate?

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve had warranty issues with Silverfish being very unhelpful (not related to RF but to Yeti) but as they are the RF importers that would really put me off.
    Middleburn’s warranty dept were excellent (only used once in 12 years and I have three of their chainsets, 1 ST and 2 X-Type, had issue with an ISIS now swapped for the ST)
    I would rather risk a Middleburn, you’ll get just as much help from a bankrupt company as you will from Silverfish and they are lovely cranks.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Ouch!
    That’s not the kind of feedback I like to read andrewh.
    Clearly we’ve failed to keep you happy, I’m sorry to hear that, it’s obviously not our intention and as bunch of riders ourselves we always try to work hard to keep our customers on the trails.

If you want me to look into anything directly please feel free to drop me a mail Richie @ silverfish – uk . Com (remove all the spaces).

iain65
    Free Member

Used them all year, no problems.
    Iain.

iain65
    Free Member

ps The race face BB is utterly rubbish though….

gelert
    Free Member

Had Next SLs on my Alpine since May 2015. No major issues except I broke the cheesy bearing tensioner and it cost £15 to get a new one and was difficult to source. I changed to an Oval ring early this year and cleaned everything up then. I noticed a bit of grouch in the BB one side but it’s been spinning fine since with zero play and I’m hoping to get this winter out of it before I’ll just change it. Making it two winters and one summer from a BB (1,275km ridden so far on it).

No issues with pedal inserts yet. I make sure the pedal threads are greased regularly. Superstar Plastic flat pedals. That’s bling on bling, eh 🙂 They’re great pedals.

They’re super nice cranks and they made my bike 1lb lighter. I too feel the BB (BSA) is the let down but it’s outlasted my expectations by miles and I even bought a spare BB to replace it many months ago.

Lifetime warranty with Next SL I believe. Hopefully that really means lifetime as I’m hoping they’ll go from this bike to my next one when I change and still be sweet.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Ta. It’ll be on a pressfit BB92 so I’m thinking of either Hope or Rotor for the bearings.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

any UK suppliers of just the arms?

Don’t need the round ring/carbon spider as I’ll be fitting an oval.

julians
    Free Member

You can get the cranks from.wiggle or crc for £304

Does anyone know what options you have if you don’t want to use a raceface bottom bracket?

Will they work with a shimano hollowtech iibb?

mboy
    Free Member

If you’re after 170mm reggiegasket, I’ve got a very nearly new set I can sell you, just the arms. You’d be hard pressed to tell they’d been used at all! Also got the (again nearly new) Hope BB92 30mm Bearing setup to go with it. Email in profile if you’re interested…

ps The race face BB is utterly rubbish though….

Fortunately Hope, Rotor and others come to the rescue here…

stuc
    Free Member

Running two pairs.

First pair on the Hardtail failed – failed on the axle/arm interface, which I don’t think there have been too many reported failures of.

Have to say warranty replacement was sorted out swiftly with no quibbles by LBS and presumably silverfish.

Both pairs currently running fine and nice cranks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘RF Next SL cranks – still dodgy or now sorted?’ is closed to new replies.