Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Revs VS Floats
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

more specifically the newest revs (2013), i like the fact they have gone to a solo air chamber, making setting up a whole load easier!

i have some float rl 32’s at the mo (2010 ones, with FIT damper)

if i was to get the newest 2013 rev’s in just RL format would they be as equally as good as my floats?

the last pair of revs i had were not great, a pair of uturn ones from 09 that had a few issues and a pain with the positive and negative chambers to get right..

any thoughts appreciated

LoCo
    Free Member

RL Revs, performance wise probably arn’t as good as the Float FIT carted 32s (rl or RLC)

The RCT3 and world cup Revs is closer in terms of performance

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers loco – even though the floats are currently 2 years old, have RS not caught up in terms of performance yet with the new range?

i like the simple use of my floats – lock out and rebound, job done – im assuming then that the rl version of the revs stands for the same?

just really thinking of selling mine whilst still have a bit of value and they are stupidly cheap on merlin the 2013 ones

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes the RL function is the same adjustments for the Revs as the floats.

The quality of the Fox damper performance wise is better that the basic Rockshox RL system even with the dual flow rebound system fitted to the 2013 revs, the RCT3 damper is better having more adjustments and extra interal parts on the damper unit.

The quality of the fork performnace is reflected by the relative prices of the forks.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I was looking at pretty much the same options but the 2013 RLT versions.

I guessed with that difference in price the peformance different must be the same.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes pretty much, the RLT damper is the same as the RL one just with the threshold adjuster, RCT3 is a different unit.

dantsw13

With the Merlin deals on Revs I can’t justify Fox prices!!!

amedias
    Free Member

With the Merlin deals on Revs price of Fox forks new I can’t justify Fox prices!!!

Northwind

Agree with LoCo, the best Revs are comparable to the Foxes but not the whole range. On the other hand, the Rev’s noticably stiffer especially when you get out to 150mm, if you care.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wife had some 2006 float rl that had started creaking. replaced with 2012 rev rlt. she’s noticed the benefit of the bolt thru but not noticed any real difference in damping performance. Admittedly, she’s not taking them to the ragged edge every ride but then how many people do?

dantsw13

Very true!!!

I’m very happy with my Revs, but my Monarch shock is dreadful. The rebound/pro pedal levers make no difference at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

she’s not taking them to the ragged edge every ride but then how many people do?

Me.

EVERY. SINGLE. RIDE.

(OK, maybe not – but I like good damping and am prepared to pay more for my occasional visits to the ragged edge)

Onzadog
    Free Member

What I meant was that there’s a lot of stuff that you can compare on paper and pick a winner but very few people would notice it while riding.

takisawa2

The RL Floats I had were more plush than the Black Box Rebas.

Northwind

Onzadog – Member

What I meant was that there’s a lot of stuff that you can compare on paper and pick a winner but very few people would notice it while riding.

True dat… But I genuinely would say that good damping’s worth it. Makes the fork work more consistently and reliably, which if anything is more important for the everyday dobbers than it is for the super-gnar. Also, tends to be easier to set up decently.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I found the floats flexed like hell and no matter what bike I put them on I couldn’t get on with them. The Revs that replaced them were much more sure footed.
    The floats were 15mm were as the Revs were 20mm but I don’t think that would have made much difference and aren’t RS 15mm now anyway.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Revs VS Floats’ is closed to new replies.