Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Reviving drunken offers
  • Pieface

So some weeks ago, after a few drinks, someone offered to host a party and openly offered to let us stay with our dog. Was a spontaneous offer.

Roll on a few weeks and they’ve sent an open message out to our group to say the party is on, but make no specific mention to us of dog.

We’re keen but don’t know how to play the dog visit thing. Don’t want to put them in an awkward situation where they have to say no, but then on the other hand the offer may still stand.

I was thinking of replying ‘Sounds great, what are the plans?’ although they’ve already told us the plans, but may make them think of the offer they made.

Any pointers?

flyingmonkeycorps

Just ask. Don’t faff.

‘Hey that’s ace! Are we still ok to stay over with Bingo or do we need to book a hotel?’

wwaswas

Any pointers?

Seems a bit breed specific?

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Thanks for the invite, Rover is really looking forward to it. He’s bought new pyjamas and everything”

Job jobbed.

bodgy
    Free Member

Just text them and say “is it still ok if we bring our dog?”.

Pieface

At FLM – Thats what I think, but its my Wife’s friend and she thinks that she may have made the offer in vain

jekkyl

yeah if they’re friends why would you hestitate to ask directly?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Here’s me thinking this was going to be about some office party shenanigans and the moral dilemma of if you should take up or rescind (delete as applicable) the offer.

jonnyboi

Any pointers?

Seems a bit breed specific?

well played.

To the OP, just ask them straight out.

Pieface

The concern is that she made the offer and has either forgotten or wishes she hadn’t. If they say no, we may have another option lined up, which would be better.

I know, I’m a socially inadequate, superficial friend. 😀

Drac

FFS! Just ask. 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

“Thanks for the invite, Rover is really looking forward to it. He’s bought new paw-jamas and everything”

I really expected more from you.

bodgy
    Free Member

Or just take the dog anyway. I think you are being far too sensitive. What’s the worst that could happen?

thepurist

Was hoping for more interesting drunken offers…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Black coffee, plenty of sugar.

Sorry….OFFERS. My bad. As you were.

Just ask: “is it ok if we bring our dog?”.

No reminder that the original drunken offer had been made, so face saved all round if the sober answer is no.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I really expected more from you.

I will wear the Cone of Shame.

jonnyboi

FFS! Just ask.

So much this. as a random aside why can’t people ask simple yet slightly difficult questions anymore?

Drac

So much this. as a random aside why can’t people ask simple yet slightly difficult questions anymore?

I honestly think some people can’t go for a shite without asking on Social media first if they should or not.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I honestly think some people can’t go for a shite without asking on Social media first if they should or not.

*crosses legs*

*puts hand up*

Drac

*puts hand up*

Well that’s one way to stop it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I sometimes have to work it out with a pencil

Drac

Try a corkscrew.

johndoh
    Free Member

How about a simple ‘hey, we’d love to come but just wanted to check that you’re still happy if we bring [insert name of dog]. If you’d rather we didn’t just say so – we won’t be offended, we’ll just put [insert name of dog] in the kennels for the night.

midlifecrashes

Any pointers?

Yes, and she doesn’t like being left behind when there’s a party to go to, neither does minibeagle for that matter.

franksinatra

How old are you? Just ask them!

Pieface

Unfortunately kennels aren’t an option, but they don’t know that.

fasthaggis

“Thanks for the invite, Rover is really looking forward to the doggingit. He’s bought new pyjamas and everything”

PJM1974
    Free Member

I assumed that this thread was about a different kind of drunken offer, the type that you occasionally encounter at a works xmas party for example!

Gary_M
    Free Member

How old are you? Just ask them!

He goes to parties that involve taking his dog, so either 8 or 80 🙂

Or just take the dog anyway. I think you are being far too sensitive. What’s the worst that could happen?

One or more people at the party are allergic to dogs, have asthma attack and die?

summitchilterns
    Free Member

I thought this thread had so much potential, until I opened it! 😀

Merak

I hate people who visit with dogs.

amedias
    Free Member

I hate people who visit with dogs.

I guess you’re not in the habit of doing this then?

… openly offered to let us stay with our dog

Or are you one of those people who sets up situations you hate just so you have something to moan about?

chakaping
    Free Member

Does your dog enjoy parties?

I wouldn’t take ours to one if offered, I just know he’d do something to embarrass us all.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Does your dog enjoy parties?

Mine doesn’t. She’s a pooper.

wwaswas

I just know he’d do something to embarrass us all.

We’re taking our my wife’s dog to my brothers on Boxing Day. They have a large boisterous dog and so do we. I’m expecting the worst.

Drac

One or more people at the party are allergic to dogs, have asthma attack and die?

No mention of attracting a child’s face, poor effort poor effort.

tinybits
    Free Member

Are you my wife 10? if they are ok with the dog, you can go. If not, you can’t.
    I fail to see why this is a question for anyone other than the host?

Gary_M
    Free Member

No mention of attracting a child’s face, poor effort poor effort.

Brave of you to admit, but not something I’d broadcast on the internet.

What kind of parties do you go to?

sbob
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Maybe we could sticky a link to the Pistonheads ”New Teaspoon Advice Please” thread and see if people get the hint.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Reviving drunken offers’ is closed to new replies.