• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Reverting back to tubes?
  • LMT
    Free Member

So I had my plus bike converted to tubeless in the summer, had it done by my lbs and bar the odd flat tyre when I’ve left the bike for a few weeks it’s work well. Yesterday due to the weather I used my plus bike for work, on the way home I don’t know how but the valve came loose and the air escaped and a chunk of fluid, tried to fix it when Home but it’s just not playing.

To convert back I’m checking it’s just remove the valve clean the wheel rim and inner tyre and then pop the tube back in?

Do I need anything in particular to clean it all up or washing up liquid do the job?

frogstomp

Don’t forget to check for thorns etc. before you put a tube in!

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

As above- guarantee you’ll have 10thorns in the tyre. Think of them as “ghosts of punctures-future”!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shermer75
    Free Member

I don’t worry too much about cleaning the tyre, just a rinse with water (most sealants are water soluble). It will prob leave a residue behind but it’s not gonna harm anything

TheGingerOne

To convert back I’m checking it’s just remove the valve clean the wheel rim and inner tyre and then pop the tube back in?

What else could you do given the parts involved?

shermer75
    Free Member

What else could you do given the parts involved?

Ooo hang on, I think I know this one- a really big but chewy doughnut?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Why don’t you just learn how to inflate tubeless tyres instead of reverting back to the misery of inner tubes?

LINK

jfb01
    Free Member

If you have any at home,sprinkle some talcum powder in the tire.It acts like tiny ball bearings & allows the innertube & tire to move freely relative to each other.

SirHC

I’d bet that your tyre is full of thorns, chucking a tube in there will result in a tube full of holes.

z1ppy

I can’t think of as a worse idea.. I got a new bike with 650+ last week and had to fix a puncture last wed night mid ride, it was a ridiculous faff, will be converting to tubeless asap!

richardthird

All that happened was your locking nut undid itself. Tiniest bit of regular maintenance would have prevented that. Just twiddle the thing when checking pressures. Stay tubeless, learn how it works and look after it.

philjunior
    Free Member

To be fair the valve lockrings and sealing at the valve can be a bit mysterious, but I too would persevere.

TheGingerOne

To be fair the valve lockrings and sealing at the valve can be a bit mysterious, but I too would persevere.

I just dip the end of the valve in sealant before inserting it and doing it up as tight as I can – seems to work for me.

richardthird

Neither of those things are necessary and there is no mystery. I try and keep sealant well away from the valve as it can block or seize it up.

Lock ring finger tight. So you can undo it if you rip a sidewall and need to fix from inside or temporarily bung a tube in.

LMT
    Free Member

I haven’t converted back yet, and have tightened the valve back in, seems to of held half the air from yesterday, so getting there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Reverting back to tubes?’ is closed to new replies.