Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reversing camera for van. Recommendations?
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Evening all.
    Anyone fitted an aftermarket reversing camera? I’m looking for one for the van. I’d like one that I could fit on my towbar somewhere, or drill and fit to the centre of the bumper. I’d also need a monitor, so I’m thinking more of a full kit.
    Anyone fitted/recommend one? Ebay seem to be awash with cheap ones, but I dont mind paying a bit more for a decent one, unless the cheap ones are any good of course.

Ta.

Tracey

We had a dual one fitted to our camper and a rear view mirror type monitor. When driving forward it gives a view like looking into the rear view mirror and in reverse it switches down to show the rear of the van and the surrounding area. Got it from a guy on ebay after seeing them at the Motorhome Show

houndlegs
    Free Member

Tracey, sounds good. Got a link please?

colp

I got one off eBay, about £15, it replaces one of your number plate lamps.
    I already had a head unit that could take an extra video input.
    It works great, i use a trailer a lot so makes hitching easy, I can watch the MX bikes on the trailer while I drive, great for parking.

ebay link

bear-uk
    Free Member

I have one thats the same size as a reversing sensor. Its in the middle of the rear bumper. Not sure if that would would work with a tow bar though. I strongly recommend a kit with sensors as the Clown that drives my van (ME) has managed to have an interface moment with a telegraph pole. Not once but twice. 😳

houndlegs
    Free Member

colp. Would that work if my licence plate is not central? My plate is on the left hand door, maybe 18-24 off centre, at a guess.

colp

colp. Would that work if my licence plate is not central? My plate is on the left hand door, maybe 18-24 off centre, at a guess.

I reckon it would, the field of view is very wide angle, I’ll take a photo of the screen in the morning.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I got an ebay cheapo that is drilled through the rear door (van) just above number plate. Wifi so no cable along the van. Wires up to reversing light. Separate monitor that sits on the dashboard. Wouldn’t be without it – reversing was a complete nightmare before I got it. Doesn’t matter at all that it’s not central.

Do sometimes wonder if it would be worth having an always-on rear view mirror replacement, as I miss the rear mirror and still get surprised by people overtaking.

paladin
    houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, it seems that a cheapy ebay one is ample for what I want then.
    Captain, do you have a link for the one you got please? I guess wi fi would make installation a bit easier.

spooky_b329

I got a kit like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-18LED-IR-CCD-Reversing-Camera-12V-7-LCD-Monitor-Car-Rear-View-Kit-UK-/171726365428?hash=item27fbb062f4:g:NEkAAOSw-7RVC9ZH

Camera mounted right up high above the rear doors so you can use every inch of space to help parallel parking etc.

I wired it to be on permanently, not just in reverse. Its pretty good although the camera wasn’t 100% waterproof so had to reseal it with silicone.

I would go with a wired one unless there is a specific issue with routing the cables. The one on the back of the van is wired and no issues, I have a wireless camera in the horse trailer that links into the same display in the van, it is a little temperamental and sometimes the picture drops out (transceivers are only about 3 metres apart at rear of van and front of trailer). Occasionally I get an image from another vehicle pop up, and presumably sometimes they get a view of a couple of horses leaning into the bends as we drive along 🙂

colp

Here’s mine in place of the original lamp holder, you can still have a bulb in there

Here’s the view

thecaptain
    Free Member

houndlegs, it was a couple of years ago but perhaps this one. Wireless adds a few quid to the cost but I was also thinking it’s easier than a long wire run…and it has worked fine (except when a plug fell out at the monitor and I just about rewired the whole camera end before checking, doh).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reversing camera for van. Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.