Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Reversing Camera
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

My folks just got themselves a campervan and for my Dads birthday I was going to get him a reversing camera. A quick Google shows up so many different ones, that I don’t even know where to start. Any suggestions?

We shall fit it ourselves but to make it as easy as possible the wireless ones seem like a good idea. Are they powered from the reversing light so that they only work while in reverse? I also like the look of the screen replacing the rear view mirror but this is not essential.

Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

I have one in the landrover to help with trailer hitching as well as reversing parking.

My wiring is a bit “special” and mine is switched on with my rear working lights, but I think there’s no problems doing it of the reversing light. Mine is wired in to a small screen I have up front. I saw the rear view mirror replacement ones, but since I didnt want a RVM anyway, I have the screen lower down under the dash instead.

They are very good at what they do though. But dont expect much for chinese quality….

I got a 4.5″ screen and camera from this guy 18 months ago. They dont stock it anymore (things move on quickly in the chinese product world)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Reversing-Cameras-Kits-/174593/m.html?item=281092426413&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AGB%3A1123&_ssn=yes4all

WillH

I fitted a cheap after-market one to our car a year or so ago. Quality is pretty good, and the low-light/night performance surprisingly so. Wiring was dead easy, just joined to the reverse bulb connection so it comes on when reversing. It came with a huge long cable which would probably be long enough for most campers, I had to shorten it quite a bit (not much room behind panels to have it all coiled up). I went with a 5″ screen rather than a rear-view mirror type, as I have it at the back of the car so I can see it when looking over my shoulder without having to switch between looking backwards and forwards.

That may or not be relevant, depending on the type of camper they have and how they reverse, as you need a forward-facing type camera which doesn’t flip the image. Ignore that last bit if it’s going to be a dash- or windscreen-mounted screen.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Reversing Camera’ is closed to new replies.