Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Reverbs: upside-down fitting with XT brakes and gears
  • wl
    Free Member

I’m running XT brakes and gears and last night I moved my left-hand Reverb control to the right-hand bar, in order to fix it under the bar, out of the way. It’s a tight fit, and the Reverb trigger is v close to the gear lever, but I think it will at least work. Anyone got any tips for getting this set-up as functional as possible? Ta.

Scapegoat

Trial and error. This is fitted right hand to left bar, but the same principle. The position of the reverb lever must match the angle of the shifter pod, as the speed control barrel sits directly over the top of it. The brake has to be run inboard of the gear lever. This is SLX shifter, but XT thumb levers are slightly thinner. Fitting order is, all three clamps on loose, grip in place. Tighten gear shifter in position to suit , then reverb lever snug against the back of the shifter pod, then brake lever effectively sandwiching the reverb adjuster.

alfabus
    Free Member

Right hand lever mounted upside down on the left – very reachable with my thumb:

Dave

edit: forgot to mention that my shifters are i-spec

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

An I-Spec shifter might be a useful investment

wl
    Free Member

Scapegoat – that’s ace, thanks for such a ridiculously good reply. In fact, your set-up looks exactly like the one I’ve settled on, except on my right not left. Seems to work in the living room (workshop) but I’ll test it properly this weekend. Thumb will catch the Reverb trigger very slightly when I change gear, but I reckon I’ll quickly get used to it. Didn’t like resting the bike on the trigger every time I turned my bike over. Cheers again.

EDIT – cheers everyone.

razorrazoo

Before going 1×10 I had my shifter mounted in the same way as described by Scapegoat (I was running SLX brakes and shifters – the only compromise was that the shifter sat slightly lower and access to the thumb paddle was a bit less intuitive), personally for me this is preferable to the way alphabus has his set up as I used the reverb more than the shifter and to have it right next to the thumb is handy.

Now with 1×10 I still run the reverb button in the same place rather than inboard of the brake lever where the shifter was.

Scapegoat

^^ This. You soon get used to the new thumb position. That’s why I chose left not right, as less gear changing. On old 9 speed SLX on the Cotic I filed a couple of mm off the thumb lever to avoid snagging.

Scamper
    Free Member

After looking at Scapegoat’s set up, think I will revisit mine. Because of the short levers I just presumed that Shimano brakes really had to outboard of everything else and come to think of it I think my reverb is the most inboard.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If you don’t go i-spec, then there is another way to create more space outboard of the brakes that’s worked well for me.

You can remove the bar mounts from the shifters and swap the mounts over (left mount to right side and vice versa). This allows you to mount the shifter clamps inboard of the brakes and creates space outboard of the brakes.

Scapegoat

Supposedly more leverage with the tip of the finger on the last inch of lever, so inboard makes sense.

wl
    Free Member

See what you mean about a right-hand lever run upside-down on the left being best as there’s less shifting going on. Got a deal so didn’t have a choice in fact, but never mind.

Scapegoat

You can remove the bar mounts from the shifters and swap the mounts over (left mount to right side and vice versa). This allows you to mount the shifter clamps inboard of the brakes and creates space outboard of the brakes.

Does this work with all shimano shifters?
    Edit: Just checked. this effectively puts the shifter clamp over an inch further inboard. Genius.
    Second Edit…. however, the relationship between the reverb barrel and the shifter pod doesn’t alter as far as I can see.

razorrazoo

I set my SLX brakes up for one finger braking from day one (previously I used 2 fingers on my Hopes & Avids) so the reverb button pretty much fitted in the gap I had anyway. I thought it would take me ages to get used to single finger, in fact took about 5 minutes as braking power and lever feel are both good.

razorrazoo

In fact looking at Scapegoat’s pics again my set up was different. I had grip/reverb/brake/shifter on the LH side. Worked fine as per my previous post and would put the brake lever nearer your grip if required.

dantsw13

My reverb is inboard of both brake/shifter clamps, and is perfectly reachable.

torihada
    Free Member

I ran my reverb lever under the bars on 2 bikes. I don’t anymore after I snapped off the levers twice : the lever got caught in my baggy shorts on aggressive climbs.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yes, catching my baggies has had me off several times, now cured by using my other different knee pads.

iainc

I spec here too and similar to alfabus, although left hand remote upside down on right. I can’t get mine as far outboard though, maybe 15mm less as the return speed knob fouls the reservoir. Still handy though.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

My reverb is inboard of both brake/shifter clamps, and is perfectly reachable.

… now that I’ve got an SLX shifter with the window removed.

Scapegoat

Bugger. Just fitted XT M780 shifters, and I can’t shoehorn the reverb lever in, as the shifter pod is a different shape to SLX, so it’s had to go inboard of the brake clamp. 🙁

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Reverbs: upside-down fitting with XT brakes and gears’ is closed to new replies.