Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reverb with MMX clamp – can you still mount upside down?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Is the MMX option in addition to the “normal” mount, or can a right hand MMX remote only be mounted on the right hand side and with a compatible shift.

I think I want to mount a left hand remote upside-down on the right side, and run a left hand grip shift (so no MMX option there).

honourablegeorge

MMX is jst an extra wee clip that attaches to the lever, you can remove it, and you’re left with a normal lever – I have a right hand MMX reverb mounted upside down on the left.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I run my right hand MMX lever upside down on the left. Off the top of my head I think it would still work with MMX brakes as the brakes are flip/flop.

Why out of interest would you want to run (I’m presuming your rear) gears on the left and reverb on the right, what advantage does that have over the more normal way of doing things?

scruff
    Free Member

Upside down remote seems to fit in marginally better with Shimano shifter/brake combo.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Agentdagnammit, yhm…

messiah
    Free Member
    agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Notspoon – my example wasnt good. I run a normal shifter set up, but use a front gripshift due to a dodgy thumb. The plan is to have the remote on the right (between a Hope brake lever and x9 trigger shifter), but mounted upside down (so I’ll buy a left hand MMX remote).

shout now if I’m about to make a big mistake….

cheers

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes that will work

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think it would clash with the shifter, I tried to run mine on the left with a left hand shifter and it never worked very well. I’ve seen a few people mount the shifter a long way inboard, the idea being that they use the reverb less than the shifter and unlikely to need the shifter in situations where they couldn’t let go of the grip to reach it.

I actualy prefered mine above the bar, the ergonomics seemed to work better, having it under the bar seems to position it such that the lever doesn’t really follow the natural arc of your thumb very well and I end up doing more of a twist with my whole hand movement than just pressing with my thumb.

LoCo
    Free Member

Depends on the shift lever shape and swing I guess everyone is ordering the opposite side mounts to put below the bar, protects the lever from damage in a crash too.
    The ones I’ve used seem fine.

scruff
    Free Member

I have LH Shimnao brake lever outboard, upside down Reverb remote, XT shifter inboard. Takes some faffing to ge tthings Ok and its a compromise. I have remote on L as I use it more than front shifter.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’m coming from a Joplin remote, so ergonomics can only really improve. And it’s definitely crash damage that I’m looking to avoid (and I want to be able to flip the bike upside down).

But….now I’m wondering if I could run it alongside an X0 gripshift on the left? The larger shifter might naturally protected a left hand remote a little even if it was mounted the proper way up?

BTW – how much difference is there between the left and right hand remote, is it just a different curve in the shape of the remote itself, or is the mount completely different?

scruff
    Free Member

Dont know about gripshift but LH / RH are mirror images.

messiah
    Free Member

Looks like it will work with the new gripshift anyway.

Google image search for “reverb mmx gripshift”

Linky

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reverb with MMX clamp – can you still mount upside down?’ is closed to new replies.