Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Reverb – what are all the bits for??!
  • larkim
    Free Member

This photo shows all the bits that came with the reverb we fitted yesterday. I know what the “enduro collar” is, we used the syringes and fluid after some minor mishaps with trimming down the hose, and the “matchmaker / MMX” clamp was surplus to requirements as there’s no SRAM / Avid brakes in the family. And I’m not so daft as to not know what cable ties are for. However, I’m curious what all of the other little bits are for.

In particular:-
    – red plastic nipple thing?
    – screw / bolt with a hex end? (Not the disposable hex key, I know about that!)
    – black rounded piece (in between the RS logo on the leaflet and the RS logo on the syringe in the picture)

Any clues? Manual didn’t seem to help much…

sazter

The curved black bit fits in the clamp for mmx shifters in place of the brake, works fine without it though. I read somewhere what the red thing was for (probably here) but it escapes me right now

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think
    1.Covers the end of the hose if you are feeding it through the frame
    2.If its the double ended threaded thing is used to attach a bit of gear cable to help threading through longer bits of bike
    3.Goes in the clamp if you aren’t combining it with a brake lever.

Rubber_Buccaneer

is there a prize? Someone was offering Haribo on another thread 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

3 ^ as above. Works if not clamped to anything else. If you’ve got compatible SRAM/Avid brakes though the Reverb joins to the end of the brake lever that looks like the curved black thing, and makes for a very neat fit and tidy bars 🙂

Not sure about screw/bolt with hex end. The black double ended clamps though are awesome. Allows you to clamp two cables together to stop them chattering or rubbing but allows the cables to move. Better than just cable ties.

The other black piece should be the cable guide. Cable ties are used to wrap it to the Reverb and the hose goes in the guide. Prevents too much ballooning when lowering.

larkim
    Free Member

Balooning not an issue as it’s a stealth one. But that makes sense.

Didn’t need to use their clever cable clamps as the bike already had such items attached ready for the reverb.

Sorry, no haribo.

Would have been nice for Sram to put info in the box, but hey ho.

Thanks!!

sazter

The screw might be this, for attaching MMX shifters, and the red bit is just with it for when used like this to stop the screw falling out. Bit like Ikea packs, they send you everything inc the cable guide even though it’s a stealth…

Rubber_Buccaneer

sazter may have it. In my reality many of the bits that come with a reverb are for sticking somewhere ‘safe’ because I may need them but don’t really know quite what they are.

DickBarton

Bolt with end…you mean the allen ket type thing with the torx end? If so, that does the bolts up on the clamp to the bar and I think also used for the bleed nipples.

zero-cool
    Free Member

They’re all meant to sit in a tub on the shelf and gradually multiply with every Reverb you buy. And then in about 10 years you won’t have a clue what they are and where they came from.

Tom KP

gkeeffe

Whats the big silver collar for? [near the right syringe]

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

it’s the “enduro” collar… seriously.
    bolts in place to restrict drop if for some reason youfancy limitting the drop. Why anyone would want to do this though, I have no idea.

Scamper
    Free Member

It’s the ‘get you home collar’ for when your reverb packs in again mid ride.

gkeeffe

Cheers… btw mines dropping 10mm… is it the end?? 2.5 years old…

larkim
    Free Member

Just to add, the whole thing was surprisingly straight forward to do, even cutting down the hydraulic cable (stanley knife, fresh blade, workbench and a few trial snips on some of the excess cable). OK, so I did push out the lever (and the associated fluid) when winding it back on, but even then refilling with oil was stratightforward with the syringe.

deadkenny
    Free Member

gkeeffe – Member
    Cheers… btw mines dropping 10mm… is it the end?? 2.5 years old…

Check air pressure. Must be bang on 250psi, no less, no more. If less then it may drop a little. Don’t go over else it can damage it.

Could be another reason though, but I’ve had one do that and just needed pumping back up.

andysredmini
    Free Member

My few month old stealth was dropping 10mm and has just been replaced under warranty. If its out of warranty I would just carry on using it and not worry. maybe raise the saddle 10mm to compensate. I cant imagine it being worth the service price some places charge (£100 ish) which seems expensive compared to the price of a new one.

cultsdave
    Free Member

If its dropping 10mm and is 2.5 years old it will just need a service. Buy a basic service kit for about £10 and just service it yourself. Full instructions are available on the SRAM website.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If its dropping 10mm and is 2.5 years old it will just need a service. Buy a basic service kit for about £10 and just service it yourself. Full instructions are available on the SRAM website.

If there’s oil/air leaking to where it shouldn’t be then a basic service won’t do it. And the full kit is expensive (and fiddly looking) enough to make it look like £70-£100 isn’t all that bad.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Reverb – what are all the bits for??!’ is closed to new replies.