Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • reverb – sign of imminent failure or normal?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Just refitting my rear shock and noticed by reverb has about 2mm of movement when I press down on it (at first thought loose pivots or shock stiction).

Is this normal for one that’s seen some use or a sign it’s about to fail/overdue for service?

scandal42
    Free Member

Mine also has this, I haven’t bothered doing anything as I can’t feel it when riding, only when pressing with my hands.

scruff
    Free Member

Mine had from 2-3mm for months, then went straight to 1cm. It then went from 1 cm to right through its travel in 2 rides.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

It’s enough reason to send it back if it’s still under warranty.
    Commonly caused by air finding it’s way past a seal as a result of the bike being lifted by the saddle whilst the post was “down”.

A service will fix it, but why spend money on a service if you have warranty remaining?

Most folk don’t notice it until it gets to about an inch of unwanted drop.
    RS appear to favor just swapping it out for a new one, rather than bothering fixing it.

scruff
    Free Member

RS appear to favor just swapping it out for a new one, rather than bothering fixing it.

Hope so, mines gone back to Merlin.

daver27
    Free Member

I think i read on here somewhere (so could be a load of rubbish) that they replace them because it is more economical than repairing them!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve had two with that failure mode so far.
    A riding buddy has had three.
    All replaced under the two year warranty. No quibble with any of them.

swanny853

Yup, small amount of air crept into the damping/locking oil circuit. Needs an internal bleed. Rockshox say to completely rebuild the post. It’s not a hard job but it is time consuming (and frustrating!) which is why it tends to get done on warranty.

I believe you can bleed it without dismantling it and the method makes sense but I haven’t actually tried it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘reverb – sign of imminent failure or normal?’ is closed to new replies.