Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Reverb servicing – can't clamp inner shaft tight enough!
  • Superficial
    Free Member

This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxgUK3gC_Fk at 1min40 onwards) describes removing the reverb ‘outer seal head’ from the inner shaft by clamping the inner shaft in a vice using aluminium jaws and simply undoing the nut at the bottom. This is in no way as easy as it looks on the video. I don’t want to damage the inner shaft but I just can’t clamp it tight enough without it spinning or damaging the shaft.

Anyone else done this? Or got any bright ideas / suggestions? Would a boa-type tool work on this (relatively smal diameter)? I’ve never used one.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I used some coarse emery cloth in the vice gave it just enough grip not to spin, didn’t have to go mad on the pressure.

somafunk

Can you wrap it in some old inner tube or thick rubber glove?

Superficial
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. For anyone else that’s trying this, I tried a few things (including what RS themselves suggest) but this was the only thing that worked for me:

Clean the shaft with alcohol
    I used a knurled rubbery strip (the kind you get with bike lights to pad the clamp out)
    And the rubbery vice soft jaws (not the hard alu ones)

As Jeffus said, if you get a decent grip you don’t need to clamp it particularly hard. I reckon a small boa would be the perfect tool for the job (if a small enough one exists).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Reverb servicing – can't clamp inner shaft tight enough!’ is closed to new replies.