Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Reverb remote MMX
  • zerocool

Is it possible to get an adapter to run an MMx reverb remote separately from the Elixers? I only ask as when the wife got her Covert the shop fitted a Reverb and it’s all “match-makered” up with the shifter and brakes and she’s found that it’s really awkward to use on the fly as she has to move her (girl sized) hands from their normal riding position to actuate it. Moving it outboard towards the grips means that the brake levers and shifters are then in the wrong place.It’s a shame as apart from this annoying thing it’s a brilliant piece of kit.

I just sat on her bike and tried it and even with average man sized hands it doesn’t feel ergonomic as it seems to need tilting a bit to be comfortable even though it’s the right distance away for my thumb.

Is it possible to buy a new Match maker X clamp to run it separately or not?

Any help/advice greatly received.

Tom KP

sssimon
    Free Member

the brakes would have come with clamps (assuming it was a custom build) they are most likely in the mechanics box of useful stuff you hang onto but probably never need

rickon
    Free Member

So, the Reverb can be run without the brakes attached. It’s the brakes that you’ll need the clamp for.

My concern is that you dont think it feels ergonomic. This leads me to believe you have you brakes pointing too far down, the MMX lever should be *almost* level, with a little rise on it, and the end of the brake levers in a straight line from your index fingers.

If you have the brakes pointing downwards too much, you can’t drop your wrists, and you end up pushing down on the bars when going over rough stuff, rather than through.

Going a bit off topic there, but, the matchmakers are designed to make life easier and simpler. So, it points to an issue in set up.

The clamps are about £15 each I think, CRC have some if you search for Avid brake clamp you’ll find one. It’ll look like the one you have on your left brake.

Also…. the MMX lever isn’t really ever going to be as ergonmic to reach as your levers, unless you’re 1×9 or 1×10, and don’t have a left lever, and can replace that lever with an upside down MMX remote 🙂

fivespot
    Free Member

From what I can make of my new Reverb, the MMX mount is removable from the Reverb remote. Then just use the remote where you want to. Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here 😳

zerocool

Cheers for the advice.

he Match Makers do make life nice and easy. The problem is that to have the shifters and brake levers in the right place means that her thumbs are not long enough to reach the reverb remote. The brakes are definately not to far down. They are at the “Jedi approved” angle (where they’ve always been since she first bought a bike many years ago).

I understand that it would be more comfortable to run it underneath, but even without the shifters it would still be to inboard for the size of her hands.

I’ll look on CRC for the correct clamp. I’ve asked around before and shops have said that they must be able to be mounted separately but they hadn’t seen the correct part.

Ta

Tom KP

Edit –
    I’ve just looked at the hinged Avid clamp and I assume that you’d need to tap out the pin so the bottom part of it could be fitted to the remote (then pin re-inserted)?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yup, you just need another MMX clamp.

I’ve got big hands and even with shimano brakes with tiny levers so the brakes are mounted much further outboard than most others between the LH lever and the grip, although I find it stiff enough that I have to rotate my wrist to it anyway to get leverage on the button to press it, so moving it didn’t quite make it as quick to press as I’d imagined, it’s far more ergonomic ontop of the bar, but being quite fragile I’d rather it was underneath.

twelveski
    Free Member

Try planet X, they were the cheapest when I was looking.

rickon
    Free Member

I was thinking about this walking the dogs…

If you move the remote inboard of the shifters and brake lever, will the levers be too far away then? Or have you got 10mm space between the current single MMX clamp and the grips to fit the remote?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Reverb remote MMX’ is closed to new replies.