Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Reverb rebuild question
  • bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Well my 2011 post died today after not much use, luckily I ordered a full rebuild kit in anticipation so am about to whip it apart.

The post has a little rotational play and the kit contains 3 sets of brass rod bushings of different sizes and just wondering if anyone has sized up to reduce this play? (rebuild video states to use the same size as removed)

legend
    Free Member

Given all the problems I’d be seeing about a warranty claim, might get some nice upgraded internals out of it!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Its a German one and I have a kit with the upgraded bits so not worth the time or hassle of sending it away when I can rebuild it myself.

porter_jamie

be careful undoing the ‘nut’ dont squash it in the vice and damage it

orangefatlad
    Free Member

I put the same sized keys back in, because I thought if anything the wear would be in the sleeve rather than the shaft,they’re dead easy to get in and out so you could always try a slightly bigger size and see how it feels.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Cheers orangefatlad, think I will experiment if they are easy in/out.

Which nut porter jamie, the silver collar?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

For anyone thats interested the larger keys were too tight but the new lower bushing removed the play. Servicing was pretty easy after watching the youtube vid and its smoother now than when it was new so well happy 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Whats the difference between the older reverb and the MkII?
    Does the service kit “upgrade” the old one in any way?
    Do you need any special tools to complete the service?
    Oh, where did you buy your service kits from?

Thanks!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d still send it away, I’ve had one since pretty much day one, and it finally died on me my last ride. To be fair I did zero maintenance to it for 18 months.

Within 5 days I have a brand spanking new post arrive 🙂

ruscle
    Free Member

Oh, where did you buy your service kits from?

Thanks!

+1 on all these questions

winrya
    Free Member

The only difference between 2011 and 2012 is updated hoses, colour and a clamp to limit height. Internals are the same (or so I’ve been assured) a lot of the later 2011 versions had the updated hose and is a cheap mod should you wish to do it.

LoCo
    Free Member

Not sure that’s actually true Winrya, it’s certainly not the information I got from one of the Sram Tech guys I spoke to the other day.

I’ll be selling the service kits soon (they’re on order) as well as offering services.

wrecker
    Free Member

Any idea on this then LoCo, you seem well informed.

Oh, where did you buy your service kits from? (How much LoCo?)

porter_jamie

bigdugsbaws, yes the silver nut. i held the body in a v block in a machine vice. i wasnt keen on using a normal bench vice. it worked a treat. i ordered the repair kit from the states via ebay. go to the sram website and look up the 2012 service pdf, and find the part number for the part you require, and then dump that into ebay. very cheap, just takes a long time to come.

winrya
    Free Member

Loco, its what I was told by my Lbs so can’t confirm 100%. The research on the net I did a good few months back seemed to confirm it.

Also, the SRAM guides and videos don’t differentiate between 2011+2012 so if bleed and rebuild guides are identical, you’d assume they are idential?

ruscle
    Free Member

Tolerances on 2012 posts are much tighter meaning it is sealed better and will have less or no play for longer.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Porter Jamie, I just screwed it back on to the outer shaft which made any clamping unnecessary and removing the dust seal a breeze.

I got my full kit from http://www.bikediscount.de I think for about £25. There are hose barb differences on the later post but I’m not sure of the rest of the changes.

Mine was really filthy inside, there are air holes in the bottom air cap to allow air flow when the post is dropped/raised but water and muck had been flowing in from when I jetwashed the bike upside down as there the bottom of the seattube on my frame is not sealed.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Ooooh, that’s a good thing to remember! I’ve just got my new bike with a reverb that has an interupted seat tube, I always start with the bike upside down to jet the wheels off

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Reverb rebuild question’ is closed to new replies.