Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reverb question – mounting the remote under the bar on an MMX clamp with shifter
  • bol

Can it be done without fouling the shifter, working badly, requiring unusually shaped fingers or looking crap? New post coming next week hopefully, and just thinking about what to do. I’ll mount it on the top if I have to, but would prefer to tuck it out of the way.

Superficial
    Free Member

Depends on your shifter / brake lever combo. Some people have said it nestles nicely between everything. I’ve not had such luck.

bol

It’ll be with X0 brakes and shifters. What was the issue with yours Superficial?

steel4real
    Free Member

As superficial – I mounted my RH MMX shifter upside down on the RH side BUT it is inboard (towards stem)of brakes & shifters.

I have old mono mini levers & XT shifters (no windows). Had to rotate the shifter a little more towards the rider but it all seems OK.

I didn’t think I would mind moving my hand from the grip a little to operate the reverb as it’s not like I’m racing.

Above all I didn’t really want it on top of the bars as it will almost certainly get broke and what about if you flip your bike over for a wheel change ??? (£90 for a new control)

A mate of mine has done the same as me he has the new Hope Evo X2 levers and SRAM x9 shifter.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve put my right hand lever upside down on the left. That way it points in the right direction.

Basically I’ve got the new Shimano M985 XT brakes and the shorter levers mean they have to be mounted outboard of the shifters (at least, for my small ish hands they do. And yeah, I only use 1 finger to brake). Which means there’s no obvious space for the Reverb. YMMV. Anyway, I decided having the Reverb in a convenient place was more important than having a left hand shifter in the right place, so I’ve now got the Reverb in the perfect position but the shifter is a bit of a stretch away.

ruscle
    Free Member

I wish I could do this but run sram shifters with the Hope Tech levers on match makers so their isn’t any room. I just run the reverb remote nearly parallel to the ground so I can still flip the bike at not have to worry about damaging it. I could run the remote closer to the stem but my brake/shifter mount is already 5cm inboard so it would be too much of a stretch.

bol

How do you mean parallel to the ground Ruscle?

messiah
    Free Member
    Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

RH lever upside down left side

ruscle
    Free Member

bol – Member
    How do you mean parallel to the ground Ruscle?

Sort of flat when mounted so not poking in the air too much. Its actually easy to operate like this as well.

bol

Thanks all. I should have found that thread first, sorry.

As I already use MMX clamps to connect the brake and shifter, what would be really great is some kind of adapter tha would Make it possible to mount the remote piggybacking on the shifter mount (if yousee wha I mean?). Failing that it looks like another MMX between the current one and the grip should work. Thanks.

messiah
    Free Member

Sorry if that came out bad about the other thread, I was using my phone so couldn’t link the picture but could link the thread.

Here is the pic again.

It’s all pretty close tolerance but it does fit with a bit of care… no filing or cutting required… and once set up it’s awesome.

(I know… I’d like a bling gold bolt to replace the rusty one on the SRAM clamp :mrgreen: )

legend
    Free Member

IMAG0248 by mark_penman, on Flickr

My version. Yes the Dremel was utilised 🙂

armchairbiker

I tried with Sram X9 shifters but it didn;t work. Maybe because my shifters are so far in the bars.

Thanks for the photos. I will try again

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reverb question – mounting the remote under the bar on an MMX clamp with shifter’ is closed to new replies.