Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Reverb play… Foreboding?
  • alpin
    Free Member

My Reverb gives up about 2-3mm when I sit on it, whether fully extended or not… Is This normal?

Is this a sign that it is going to have to go back?

It may have been doing this previously, but I’ve not noticed.

I’ve had the bike/post since February. Moderate use, as in, not much due to life getting in the way.

mjsmke

Both mine from new sagged about 1 – 2mm. My older one now sags about 5mm and has done for about 4 months. If it holds out I’ll wait till winter to service it.

I’m guessing as the o ring wears and air passes it, it will gradually sag more but it takes a while so I’d keep riding till it gets worse or it starts to bother you more.

MartynS

Have you checked the pressure?
    250 psi (well mine is, dunno if they’ve changed it but it’s written on the valve cap!)

Mine was sagging a bit, turned out it was down at 150ish, pumped up and it sags no more!!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Does is have sideways play also? If so, new bushing probably (replacement top cap mainly). It might sort the vertical play. That’s my hope anyway as one of mine does this (and the sideways play has resulted in wear on the stanchion).

nickc

As martyn suggests it’s probably the pressure, mines pretty sensitive to it

joemmo
    Free Member

mine has about 1-2mm of compression and it’s nearly new. According to the internets this is due to manufacturing tolerances and shouldn’t be a problem. If it starts to feel squishy then that’s due to air getting into the inner doodads or something and is usually caused by lifting the saddle when the post is not extended. It may result in explosion or impalement… possibly. Or a service.

rudedog
    Free Member

My five year old reverb has sagged about 10mm for the last 3 years – still works ok apart from that.

warpcow
    Free Member

Top tip: turn bike upside down, press reverb lever and lower saddle, turn bike upright and raise saddle. Small amounts of squish tend to be fixed by this. Make sure you lower it in one motion, though, and do not let it rise whilst still upside down.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

My Reverb gives up about 2-3mm when I sit on it, whether fully extended or not… Is This normal?

Is this fairly “typical”? – Yes

Is it correct operation? – No, It’s defective.

I’ve warrantied reverbs at <5mm. If yours is still under warranty, I’d be going down that route.

@deadkenny – No, a new top cap/bushing won’t do anything for the sag.
    It’ll address any for/aft or side-to-side play only.

daern
    Free Member

What the others say – it shouldn’t sag at all and it needs to be returned (or fixed, if you’re out of warranty). Mine used to sag by a few mm and it’s amazing how distracting even a tiny amount of sag is.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it’s less than 2 are old, warranty it.

If it’s older, give it a service, it’s really not hard, mibbe an hour or so the first time you do it, and IIRC about 25 quid for the kit, including bushings.

Rude dog, get it serviced man!.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Reverb play… Foreboding?’ is closed to new replies.