Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Reverb outer lower replacement….
  • BFITH
    Free Member

So, I’ve sourced a new outer lower for my reverb (swapping frames so need to change lower tube to suit new frame).

Anybody done this and how easy is it? Done a search on youtube for videos ,but to no avail.

swanny853

SRAM has a full set of rebuild instructions for the reverb on their website and also on youtube. I’m pretty sure you can’t swap the lower without basically fully rebuilding the post- I’ve done it a couple of times and it’s perfectly do-able. It is, however, a pain in the proverbial.

If you do want to go that way, the various bleed tools make life a lot easier but allow lots (really, lots) of time. Took me an afternoon and evening to strip and rebuild the first time, then had to do it again because it didn’t work, which was about three hours. Last one I did was about 2 hours.

How often are you likely to do it- it may just be worth sending it off to get it done….

welshfarmer

Assuming it is possible to change the lower for a different sized one (I am sure you have checked this, I have no idea but guessing the stanchions are same size on all models so why not?), then I don’t think it will be too hard. I have had my old reverb apart to change an O ring many times and that involves completely removing the lower from the upper. No special tools were needed (other than circlip pliers and a soft vice) and provided you keep the stanchion upside down and don’t disturb the gubbins inside it then you won’t need to do anything with the working bits at all.

richmtb

Assuming the old upper fits a different sized lower – I don’t actually know if it does then its just a basic service but you would be putting a new lower on rather then the original lower

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w0X0-AOhRA[/video]

I serviced my seatpost using this video recently. It wasn’t too hard, getting the post back together over the new bushing was a bit of a PITA but other than that it was pretty straightforward.

You DO need a vice though

swanny853

I tell a lie, I think these guys are right and you should be able to swap the lowers only without doing the post bleed. In that case you might get away without a vice by clamping the post in the bike for the ‘undo the collar’ section

welshfarmer

A good tip, if the bolt is tight (and it should be), then an air wrench will fetch it off easily and it will need minimal clamping (just a rag round it in the vice will do).

BFITH
    Free Member

Petra cycles checked it out for me. It’s definitely possible to swap the lowers over. I suppose it would be a good opportunity to swap the seals whilst I’ve got it apart?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Reverb outer lower replacement….’ is closed to new replies.