• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Simon.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Reverb or Thomson Dropper
  • teamslug
    Free Member

Interested in what the STW massive think….I had decided on a Thomson dropper on the basis that the engineering, reputation etc would make for a more reliable product but bumped into an old riding pal on the trail on Sunday who’s riding group have had quite a few problems with them. I know that a lot of you seem to rate the reverb so what do you think?. Price is certainly in its favour… Cheers

andyl
    Free Member

Surely based on reputation you would have to go Rockshox? They have a huge amount of suspension parts out there and a pretty good, IMO, rack record. Thomson have been making static seat posts and stems for a while.

Yes they also do aerospace and automation components but I have no experience of those so I couldn’t tell you if they have a good reputation in that market.

I’ve got a reverb and it’s been great. I don’t like the price of spare parts so worry if something goes wrong but in use I can’t fault it.

Northwind

I’d have a Lev if I was doing it again, my Reverb’s been reliable (though it has excessive play now and it’s not that old) but I really dislike the lever- impossible to get it where I want it, but even if I could it’d still stick out too far. I’ve not broken it yet but when I do I’m going to hunt down and murder the designer.

honourablegeorge

Is your Reverb lever a right hand lever under th ebar on the left? If not, it’s wrong.

Lev lever is utterly useless, although the Southpaw one looks like the solution

andyl
    Free Member

yes the lever is a PITA. I had forgotten about that. Took me ages to get a set up I liked and that involved making some new mounts for my shimano shifters.

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

Is your Reverb lever a right hand lever under th ebar on the left?

Yup- and doesn’t that just say everything you need to know about the design 😆 But even then, it’s so short on adjustability and so awkwardly shaped…

zerocool

Plus one on the stupid Reverb lever. By far the best post I’ve used but I find setting up the lever a complete ball ache compare to the KS one. When will RS redesign it or someone offer a better aftermarket alternative?

It doesn’t even work well with Avid brakes and SRAM shifters (and they’re the same flippin’ company). I had to modify my shifter mounts to get it to fit properly when I switched to Shimano brakes

Other than that my reverb (and the wife’s) have been problem free (touch wood)

tmb467
    Free Member

ive got a thompson and its great. probably about a year old, no play, silky smooth but my remote seemed to chew the cable a bit and the fact that its an up/down lever instead of a shifter-type motion makes it a bit awkward when you’re knacked at the end of an enduro

may consider the ‘improvement’ offered elsewhere on STW as an option

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a Thomson. It’s currently out for warranty (taking ages) after developing excessive play. Personally I’m a huge fan of the lever and the thing was a delight to use.

As it’s ended up knackered and bickering about warranty after a year, same as every Reverb ever, I’m not sure it was worth the extra £100 tbh.

😉

teamslug
    Free Member

Planning to go 1 x 10 at same time so I will be losing left hand shifter. Will this make positioning of a right hand lever on left hand side easier if I went for a reverb.

matther01
    Free Member

LEV + southpaw if you have the money

chestrockwell

I’ve got a Thomson and can highly recommend it. Beautifully built, great in use, comfortable lever. Not had it long so can’t comment on long term durability but it feels solid so far.

Simon

Don’t know anything about the Thomson but everyone I know with a Reverb has had to send it back for a warranty fix of some description.
    I’ll be sticking with my Gravity Droppers for the foreseeable future.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Reverb or Thomson Dropper’ is closed to new replies.