Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reverb + Fort Bill gondola. Will it die?
  • Rockplough
    Free Member

From memory the fort bill gondolas carry your bike by the nose of the saddle. Is this ok with a reverb (fully extended) or is it very bad? Seem to recall someone saying lifting by the saddle was a no-no.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve only been up once and it did my Lev no harm. My colleagues who go up on it regularly tie a strap round the saddle and top tube so the strap takes the weight of the bike and not the dropper innards. I’d compress it too I reckon.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

When shouldering my bike I carry with nose of the saddle on my shoulder. If the saddle is compressed then it simply extends so the above wouldn’t work, if I have read it correctly.

You weigh far more than your bikes does (I hope!) so I can’t see that your Reverb couldn’t hack it. I may be wrong IDWFRx.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought it had screwed mine up but then it started working normally again after a while.

Might not have extended it fully, though you sort of have to to get the saddle nose to reach the hook.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I left a bike at friends house for around 6 months whilst I was moving house. I was gutted when I went to collect it that he had hung it up by the nose of the saddle (I didn’t say anything as I was grateful he had stored it).
    I hasn’t affected it and still works perfectly over 2 years later.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d be strapping it down with a luggage strap, I’m sure negative pressure doesn’t do the reverb inners any good. STRAP

Northwind

Fully extended, if it can’t stand the weight of the bike it’s not fit for purpose imo… Mine has been on it a few times, and my KSs before, absolutely fine and I’d be pretty grumpy if it wasn’t.

On the other hand, I did have the mounting ring snap off a gondola one time and drop my hemlock out of the sky 😆 Luckily not far from the top, and not onto a big rock.

Maybe OT but Glencoe’s setup isn’t very external-reverb-hose-friendly, it grabs under the seat exactly where the weak point of the hose is, seen that break a couple of hoses clean off.

Davesport

Fully extended, nothing else. I wouldn’t put any lifting forces on the saddle with it in the down position. This is a known way of introducing air into the sealed part of the Reverb which will make it squishy. (Been there)

As an aside. I asked the lift operator if anything had ever fallen off, referring to the bikes. He replied yes, but only one one. I found out later he meant one of the cars had dropped off !

Have a safe trip.

benpinnick

As above, fully extended is cool.

… My firend dropped a bike off the gondola onto a Bombardier in about ’98. Both survived without incident!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m interested in why extended is better? If it’s extended wouldn’t the weight be taken by the bits that hold the thing together, whereas if compressed the weight would be taken by the bits whose job is already to hold the shaft against the pressure of the spring. Unless the holding it together bits are also designed to overcome the pressure of the spring, is that it?

richmtb

Cheers guys. I’m heading up there with the OP next week so this is good to know

iainc

^^^^ hope your life insurance is up to date rich 🙂 dependants now !!!

benpinnick

@thegreatape its basically an issue of what its designed to do. The post isn’t meant to be pulled up, so all the internal gubbins are designed to resist the pressure from below, when you pull the post up you risk air flowing into places you don’t want it. When fully extended its a mechanical lock that is just alu on alu, which is fine.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ok, I’m with you

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reverb + Fort Bill gondola. Will it die?’ is closed to new replies.