Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Reverb Failure… Guesses at what the outcome will be?
  • gsp1984
    Free Member

I have a 2011 Rockshox Reverb. I have had it from new and it’s just over 6 months old. It’s always been clean after every ride etc.

From new it always had play, I took it back a couple of times to the supplying LBS to always be told ‘a bit of play’ is normal.

Then this weekend on a long ride I heard it scrape / crunch quite loudly when trying to drop it down. So I stopped to check it out and below is what had occured…

During the ride its developed a very faint rub in the coating from the bottom to the top of the stanchion… but more specifically there is now a 1mm deep, 2″ long scrape in the stanchion coating.

It still functions as it should, except now it crunches and grinds when going up and down. I’ve obviously stopped using it sstraight away and have since dropped it into the supplying LBS.

Any guesses at what sort of response I can expect from Fisher Outdoor / SRAM.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Out of interest is there any kind of service required with the Reverb, mine’s been fine, but people keep talking about how their Gravity Dropper is like new after a new bushing/key/seal service, or their KS post only costs £10 to get serviced, or whatever post they use is fine as logn as they strip and clean it every few rides. Never seen or heard anything similar for a reverb?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is that gouge from interval failure or external contamination?

gsp1984
    Free Member

There is no service interval for the reverb noted on the SRAM site, or within the Reverb User Manual.

You can send it back to SRAM for a service at a cost of £35, but that’s a relatively new thing.

The gouge is from internal failure of something, its very linear.

MadPierre

I’d say you’d get that sorted on warranty.

Never seen a recommended service interval but this video show’s it’s not rocket science. You could easily do a quick strip, clean and re-lube (based on this) without actually replacing every seal too…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBAHcrOVps4[/video]

legend
    Free Member

During the ride its developed a very faint rub in the coating from the bottom to the top of the stanchion… but more specifically there is now a 1mm deep, 2″ long scrape in the stanchion coating.
    It still functions as it should, except now it crunches and grinds when going up and down. I’ve obviously stopped using it sstraight away and have since dropped it into the supplying LBS.

You kept using it after it started making awful noises?? Were you hoping four a total failure?

Superficial
    Free Member

I reckon one of the brass keys has slipped. If you watch the deconstruction videos on youtube (EDIT: that one above) you’ll see what I mean. Hopefully that’s a warranty thing.

TINAS – Apparently you can send it back to Fishers for a service (inc seals) for £30 ish. That’s what my mate reckoned anyway. That’s probably worthwhile.

gsp1984
    Free Member

You kept using it after it started making awful noises?? Were you hoping four a total failure?

I know I shouldn’t feed a troll. but please read what you quoted…

I obviously stopped using it straight away

After identifying that it was crunching when going up and down, I immediately stopped using it.

Unfortunately I forgot to take my spare seat post with me though on this particular ride 🙄 so I had to continue sitting on the extended seatpost until I got back to the car.

slowrider
    Free Member

My old man wrecked his in a crash, still got it fixed under warranty FOC. Jedi sent his back recently and had a positive outcome too. I’d hope your experience would be similar.

gsp1984
    Free Member

That sounds promising, I imagine it’s really obvious if it’s been mistreated or damaged through misuse.

Mines always been looked after to the point it still looks like new apart from the stanchion marks.

That my main worry really, it’s not just a case of a simple service, the stanchion would need to be replaced. 🙁

billysugger
    Free Member

The start of that video ^ is like the generation game.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Out of interest does anyone that has had repairs or warranty replacement know the rough turn around period?

I go to the Alps in 3 weeks 🙁

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve heard that about 3-4 days from bike shop back to bike shop is fairly typical. I guess you’d need to speak to them and see if they’ve got a lot on, though.

Do you need a Reverb in France?

gsp1984
    Free Member

We plan on doing quite a bit of XC on top of the gravity related fun, and I am so used to riding with it now I think I would miss it.

On top of the fact all my other posts are a different size so I would need to buy a new post and clamp lol… which I would rather avoid as I’ve spent to much on this trip already.

legend
    Free Member

I wasn’t actually trolling. The OP read like you had used it a few times (hence knowing that it was functionally fine), noticed the damage coming through then stopped working. If all that happened in one hit then its quite an issue!

Mugboo

Word of warning.

I broke my lever, totally my fault. It went back via my LBS.

New lever should cost £117.00!!! (glad he’s a mate).

They also replaced the shaft & air seals as they said they had failed too. It was only used on 10 rides at the most. 2012 from Action de.

On the plus side that means you can buy from Germany with confidence.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So how often should they be ‘serviced’, do they just last until they definitely need it, or is there value in preventative maintenance like taking it apart and filling with grease/oil like a fork lowers service?

slowrider
    Free Member

My dads was a us import so wasn’t top of the warranty pile. Good of them to do it at all tbh. Jedi’s was turned around in days.

rickmeister

Anyone know if you can buy the newer hose fixing at the saddle end? I have the push on hose, the newer type looks more secure…

jedi

fishers turned mine round in no time . big up joe carter!

maxtorque

First time mine failed (all the air got out;-) i sent it straight to Fishers, whist CRC organsised the warranty repair registration. I had it back in about 4 days!

(since then it’s just failed again in exactly the same way so CRC are sending me a completely new replacement, so lets hope this one manages a bit more than 2 months between failures!)

gsp1984
    Free Member

Sounds like it may be repaired / replaced which is good news.

Just ordered a thomson elite and new seat clamp for the alps though, it doesn’t need to be failing 50kms into the Pass’portes du Soliel

edlong
    Free Member

Good that the warranty is being honoured and all that, but with all these failures reported, anyone questioning whether the product might actually be, well, a bit rubbish?

razor

never had a minute’s trouble with mine

maxtorque

I have a suspicion that the quality and tollerance control in the manufacturing process is a bit pony. It seems some peoples items just work and keep working, whereas mine for example has failed twice with exactly the same fault! I think the basic design is ok, but when they have gone to volume manufacture (in Taiwan) some corners have been cut ot get costs down……….

gsp1984
    Free Member

The product isn’t rubbish, it does what it is supposed to do, and it does if very well. It’s a shame the quality isn’t up to scratch… At least they seem to accept this and have a good set up to deal with it.

brant
    Free Member

I have a suspicion that the quality and tollerance control in the manufacturing process is a bit pony. It seems some peoples items just work and keep working, whereas mine for example has failed twice with exactly the same fault! I think the basic design is ok, but when they have gone to volume manufacture (in Taiwan) some corners have been cut ot get costs down……….

Where do you think they should make them?

gsp1984
    Free Member

No news yet… shop said they rang and fishers are still ‘assessing it’… so no news possibly bad news? time will tell 🙁

gsp1984
    Free Member

Came back yesterday completely rebuilt with new stanchion apparently, not picked it up yet though.

The shop said it came with an essay of what has been done, then a lecture in servicing it more often, despite it being only 6 months old and the manual not stating anything about service intervals.

There was a fault internally do Everything has been done under warranty.

Anyone want a 6 month old, newly serviced reverb with many parts replaced? Will put it in the classifieds shortly.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Reverb Failure… Guesses at what the outcome will be?’ is closed to new replies.