• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by v10.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reverb, Elixir and X-9 shifter all on one matchmaker? (and shortening/bleeding)
  • higgo
    Free Member

So my bargain Reverb has arrived from CRC and it’s got some sort of Matchmaker clamp on it (MMX?)

The bike has already got a matchmaker on it with an Elixir brake lever and an old X-9 shifter. From memory, when I did that one, there were two versions of the matchmaker and mine is the old one due to the age of the shifter (but I could be mis-remembering that)

So… anyone know if it’s possible to put all three – reverb, brake and shifter – on one clamp? And are there two different types of matchmaker, ‘old’ and ‘MMX’? Am I still going to be able do it if I have kit of varying years?

Priority for me is ‘having things where my fingers expect them to be’ followed by ‘reduced clutter on bars’ with ‘weight’ a distant third.

And I know the best approach would be to give it a try but the bike’s in the shed and it’s cold and wet out there.

Also, I’m sure I’ll be able to find a guide to shortening the reverb hose and bleeding it somewhere online but if you know of a particularly clear one, please point me at it.

bol

You can’t put older elixirs or 9 speed shifters on an MMX clamp IIRC. Just treat the MMX as an extra clamp on your bars. What it does mean is that you can mount the reverb button where you like – such as under the bars which a lot of people prefer. Can’t do that with the shifter and brake on the same MMX.

andyl46
    Free Member

My canyon arrived with a fork lockout, elixirs and SRAM shifters all on the one clamp, and from the drawings it should take my Reverb that Santa is bringing on there too. MMX clamps, hinged things that clamp onto the front and back of the elixir lever bodies with cutouts to take adapters that allow the remote and shifters to be fitted. Quite neat really.

looks like this:

andyl46
    Free Member
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Odd remote in that picture. Is that an old version?

Anyway, I’d *strongly* recommend putting the lever under the bars. A large amount of people sooner or later snap their levers when in the standard above bar position for one reason or another.

Fits best on the other side then, so you want a RH lever to go under left, or LH to go under right.

Doing this it won’t fit a matchmaker, but with some careful alignment you can get it snug into position so it’s reachable by thumb.

Better still though, under the left and a single ring set up so no front shifter, and the lever goes pefectly where the shifter thumb lever would be. Again can’t fit the MMX though but really not a problem.

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks.
    Think I’ll bung it under the opposite side then.
    Only issue with this is that on one bike I’ll dropper controls on different sides on two bikes.
    (the other one’s a specialized one)

Any links to a good guide on shortening/bleeding?

andyl46
    Free Member

The remote is for the SID fork lockout, Santa hasn’t brought my dropper post yet… And I need all the Granny gears I can get on my 29er, so while 1×10 would be nice…

robarnold
    Free Member

The remote in Andy L’s picture is a cable operated fork lock out, not a hydraulic Reverb in case anyone was wondering

v10
    Free Member

Deadkenny, why cant you run mmx (reverb brake no shifter) with the reverb remote upside down on the left? I run this setup fully mmx’d with no issues?

Rich
    Free Member
    deadkenny
    Free Member

v10 – Member
    Deadkenny, why cant you run mmx (reverb brake no shifter) with the reverb remote upside down on the left? I run this setup fully mmx’d with no issues?

Hmm, I couldn’t get it to fit. Though to be honest I didn’t try hard, it just appeared there was no way it would work right so I gave up.

Do you have a RH lever mounted MMX under on the left on your brake lever?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Even if you could do it why would you? Matchmakers in my experience have been hideously flimsy. Broke one shifting a week ago and decided against them. Been through two of them this year, and neither involved anything remotely approaching a bad crash.

Separate clamps for everything for me please!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Actually, scrap that. Just realised you’re dead right and it’s stupidly simple!

I think it was because I had 2×10 when I initially did it and the MMX mount for brake and shifter is different and didn’t appear to work underneath. However just using the non-MMX mount it actually works as the clamp for the brake! I just didn’t even try when I went 1×10

D’oh! 😳

Nice then. Perfect for 1×10 set ups.

v10
    Free Member

No worries, i was just confused as to why you couldn’t get it to work as it is pretty simple! 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reverb, Elixir and X-9 shifter all on one matchmaker? (and shortening/bleeding)’ is closed to new replies.