Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Reverb dropping a few mm?
  • Rockplough
    Free Member

Reverb Stealth on a new bike. Works ok, bit sluggish to come up. Have noticed however that it moves down a few mm, with a slight notchy feel, when I sit on it. Don’t remember my old Reverb doing that.

What does it mean?

chrishc777
    Free Member

I sent mine off for warranty for the exact same reason. Apparently it’s an internal air seal and only gets worse so I sent it off while the weather is still iffy so I don’t end up with no seatpost in the middle of the summer!

Rockplough
    Free Member

Crap. Thanks.

mjsmke

I thought they all did that? Mine drops about 3mm. Maybe I should send it back too? Though it will be a pain due to the internal hose routing.

beano68
    Free Member

And mine !! just sent mine back this morning with the same friccin issues !

ks562
    Free Member

My 18th month old post started doing that over winter. Local bike shop sent it off for me to be checked out, 6 days later a brand new reverb arrived under warranty. Can’t fault them on customer service. As Chris said it’s something to do with the internal air seal.

mjsmke

I’ll have to take the whole bike back to where i bought it. I’ve no idea how to remove the hose through the frame.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I just spoke to a Sram tech at Fisher, and confirmed I can send the seatpost in without the hose, which saves a load of hassle.

wwaswas

Is there a 2 year warranty on Rock Shox stuff?

Mines’ doing this and I notice I bought it on 16/4/2014 so I ought to get it sorted…

D0NK

can you send direct to fisher? Got mine from crc and it’s doing the same.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah you can send it back via any Fisher registered shop.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Yeah you can send it back via any Fisher registered shop.

What happens with postage? As in:

Any idea if they are likely to do anything with one that’s out of warranty?

I bought mine on 28.03.13

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve had one replaced after 18months wwaswas for this problem, no questions asked.

OP have you checked the air pressure and tried giving it a quick bleed before going thought the inconvenience of removing and posting it off?

Rockplough
    Free Member

Checked air pressure yes, and it was low so topped up but same issue. Haven’t bled it, but when I described the symptoms to the sram tech he knew straight away what the fault was.

fathomer

Mines started doing it recently, not overly noticeable when riding as it’s only 2-3mm. However, I’ve got about 2weeks left on the 2 years so better get it sorted sharpish!

AlexSimon

Interesting – so it’s not something that can be fixed by a service?
    I’d just assumed that after 22 months it was due one.

Rockplough
    Free Member

The tech I spoke to referred to an ‘air gap’ fault.

mjsmke

Surely if theres an air gap it can be fixed without replacing the whole post?

Rockplough
    Free Member

Sram told me to send it in, so that’s what I’ll be doing. Don’t know or care if they’ll fix or replace, as long as I get a working post back.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Surely if theres an air gap it can be fixed without replacing the whole post?

Must be a cost issue, ie it’s cheaper for them to replace than the new parts, time and labour to re-work.

whitestone
    Free Member

Mine is under 12 months old, done about 2000Km on it. At full extension the post would sag about 10mm when I sat on the saddle.

Dropped it off at the LBS last week so will see what happens. The LBS said they’d sent several back in the last few weeks.

If I was Fisher/Sram I’d be wanting to know a bit about how the posts are being used, on a hardtail or FS for example. So far I haven’t been asked anything like that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If I was Fisher/Sram I’d be wanting to know a bit about how the posts are being used, on a hardtail or FS for example. So far I haven’t been asked anything like that.

WTF does that have to do with it? Did they ask you that when you bought it?.

whitestone
    Free Member

Because without such data you don’t know if the units are being subject to forces that you hadn’t anticipated and can feed back in to the design/production. The first part in fixing a problem is reproducing it.

D0NK

Because without such data you don’t know if the units are being subject to forces that you hadn’t anticipated and can feed back in to the design/production.

If I was using it to hammer nails into woodwork or trying to jack up a car with it I could see your point but what has HT/FS got to do with it? Aslong as it’s a normal(ish) bike ridden by normal (ish for STW) people then I’d have thought it would be covered.

bigjim

Mine is doing this too, bought May 2013, better get my skates on too.

whitestone
    Free Member

Because the more data, even if you *think* it’s irrelevant, the better. Trying to properly fix a problem when all the report says is “It doesn’t work” is a real PITA.

Someone sat like a sack of spuds on a HT will give the post a different set of stresses to someone who’s actively moving around on a FS.

iainc

Someone sat like a sack of spuds on a HT will give the post a different set of stresses to someone who’s actively moving around on a FS

oh dear…..

Rockplough
    Free Member

I know it’s STW, but as these particular symptoms seem to be affecting a few people, who might be interested in the warranty process, it would be nice not to have an argument about problem-solving methodology.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

oh dear…..

+1

whitestone
    Free Member

So if you put strain gauges on the posts and rode in the manner suggested you are saying that you’d see the same values appear for both HT & FS?

In which case what’s the point of the rear shock?

D0NK

Someone sat like a sack of spuds on a HT will give the post a different set of stresses to someone who’s actively moving around on a FS

oh well, if you’re being scientific 🙂

learning about how they failed may be a good idea but I’d have thought rider weight, seat tube angle, saddle fore/aft and angle settings are going to be much more telling than “HT or FS?”

whitestone
    Free Member

And I did say “for example” 8)

mjsmke

Just called my LBS. They said it can be sorted with a bleed so are going to take a look at mine in store. They’re an awesome shop so hopefully they can fix the post without sending it off.

razorrazoo

D0NK – Member

can you send direct to fisher? Got mine from crc and it’s doing the same.

Mine was bought via CRC. I filled out the CRC warranty form and posted back to them using their returns service which is Collect+(ie at no cost to me). New Reverb received after about a week or so once they had confirmed receipt of the old one.

beano68
    Free Member

I bought mine from CRC last November and sent mine through Gravitate Cycles in Newcastle this morning and they are sending it direct to Sram.

I hope this isn’t going to be a regular problem considering everyones having the same problem 😡

mjsmke

My lbs said they will drop a little over time and need bleeding/servicing to fix them.

mjsmke

Ooops. Double post. Sorry about the pun.

AlexSimon

I hope this isn’t going to be a regular problem considering everyones having the same problem

Well 22 months of trouble-free operation from mine without being touched, and it’s now dropping 3mm – it’s not exactly Crank Brother level of fail.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Reverb dropping a few mm?’ is closed to new replies.