Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Reverb – convert from 125 to 100 version – seat post too long
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Bear with me…

I’ve just bought a new frame as my old Blur LT medium was too small. Large felt right when I tried one off the shelf, but with my own kit including a 125mm Reverb, the saddle height is an inch or so too high for me.

I want to use a dropper post, so have a few options:

1. Saw off the top of the bike’s seat tube?
    2. Limit the travel on the Reverb to 4″ – presumably this can be done…?
    3. Go back to a Joplin post or other that has a smaller collar
    4. Swap my 125 Reverb for a 100

Any suggestions?

Duane…
    Free Member

Wait, I’m guessing you can’t slam the seatpost as much as you’d like? If so, how does limiting the travel to 4″ help?

mattjg
    Free Member

Swap or drop it an inch. I’ve not heard of away of limiting upward travel.

clubber
    Free Member

Duane, presumably with the seatpost at full extension and inserted as far as it’ll go into the frame, the saddle’s too high…

I’ve not taken one apart but this diagram suggests that it works like a fork – eg a piston design.

I’ve done this on air forks before – shorten the travel – by restricting the extension.

As such there’s probably some sort of top out bumper which you could make longer (by 25mm) to restrict the maximum extension. It’ll be something you’d need to do yourself though.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Duane – I’m assuming that a 100mm version, at full insertion, would give me a 25mm lower saddle height. But, at the expense of 25mm of travel, which I could also do with.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Clubber – that’s what I’m thinking off. Though it would probably be easier to find someone with a 100mm version who wanted a 125mm

Duane…
    Free Member

Put your bum over the saddle when you’re raising it so it can’t go too high? Not ideal but save the hassle of limiting travel etc etc.

Or, even better, tie a piece of string from the top tube to the saddle rails which stops the saddle rising more than 100mm 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Or stretch your legs by 25mm 😉

I’d suggest that the swap is easier…

crispy1980
    Free Member

100mm travel would be no shorter overall, just has less drop. It’s the overall lenght you need to change. They come as 380 mm or 420 mm. Think you can get 350 mm too but dint seem to see them.

honourablegeorge

crispy1980 – Member

100mm travel would be no shorter overall, just has less drop. It’s the overall lenght you need to change.

It would, if it was limited so that only 100mm of the 125 could extend from the base. Looking at the cutaways though, I’m not sure that’s possible.

mattjg
    Free Member

100mm travel would be no shorter overall, just has less drop.

but surely he could drop it 25mm deeper into the seat tube, which would solve the problem?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Nah, I cant drop it any deeper into the seat tube as it is already inserted right up to the collar. And a fat collar at that.

tomhoward

Just dont extend it all the way?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bit of string from the clamp to the saddle rails….

Seriously get a 100mm one, there are coming standard on quite a few bikes now (Hey it’s got a reverb – small print just a 100mm one as we were being cheap and buying up clearance)

mattjg
    Free Member

Hey it’s got a reverb – small print just a 100mm one as we were being cheap and buying up clearance

100mm does all I’ll ever need, likewise for the OP it seems.

niceandy
    Free Member

I have this very same problem (Transition bandit). Unfortunately I couldn’t test this as it was a frame only purchase and there are no test bikes here in Sweden.

It seems to me now that a lot of bike companies are putting long seat tubes on frames, which limits you using a proper length dropper post. Another guy riding last night had the same problem on his Canyon Nerve, which has a reverb stealth (150mm travel) fitted as standard.

Mine is only maybe 1-2cm too high, but enough to be annoying and will be worse when I switch from SPDs to flat pedals.

As I want as much drop as possible I’m going to go for option 1 (2cm), but will need some courage before picking up that hacksaw! Thankfully the frame came with touch-up paint, so I’ll try not to make it look like a dogs dinner.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

In my case I went from a medium frame with a 17″ seat tube to a large with a 19.5″, so a big increase. Standover is the same, so no idea why the big jump in seat post length.

Anyway, I built the bike up and might just about use the full extension on road sections and climbs, if I could loose about 2cm, it would be perfect (thicker soles on my shoes?, or I might get the hacksaw out once I’m less precious about my new frame)

Madfly
    Free Member

I’ve got a 100mm one i’d swap for the 125 if you’re interested, drop me an email if so.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Madfly, if yours is a 2012 model and in good nick then I might be up for that. Let me try a few rides as it is first, I’ve made one hasty mistake already.

Madfly
    Free Member

It’s a 2012 420mm 30.9 100mm with a rh lever. It’s 10 months old and it’s in good cond’ and still under warranty.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Reverb – convert from 125 to 100 version – seat post too long’ is closed to new replies.