• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reverb bleed – reusing the oil – will I die?
  • CalamityJames
    Free Member

Just bled my Reverb and popped the used oil from the syringes back in with the unused oil. It looked pretty much the same colour so assumed it would be fine. Is this okay to do?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Can’t see why not. If you die tell us, yeah?

gardron
    Free Member

Yeah, absolutely fine. Same as bleeding anything with mineral oil in it, as the mineral oil doesn’t pick up moisture so doesn’t deteriorate in the same way as dot fluid. If it’s clean, it’s fine (generally speaking). Dot fluid will absorb moisture which’ll alter it’s characteristics, which is why it’s better to fully replace when doing a proper bleed.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Why on earth would you die?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Why on earth would you die?

Any number of reasons – mostly unconnected.

JCL
    Free Member

It’ll be full of shit if you’ve done a season on it. Why bother?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

It was exactly the same colour so assumed it wasn’t contaminated/ full of shit. I’ve bled brakes before and the oil came out a completely different colour so binned that assuming it wasn’t good for use.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

It will explode and post will go where you don’t want it.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I thought reverbs used DOT fluid as opposed to mineral oil, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

andyl
    Free Member

definitely don’t use dot fluid. It’s red like shimano mineral oil or shock fluid.

Only reason i can think of is if it has ANY dirt in it at all. Not worth messing up your post for a bit of oil.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I thought reverbs used DOT fluid as opposed to mineral oil, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Worng

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Thanks, I assumed it was because the reverb bleed kit in compatible with Elixir brakes, so I assumed DOT fluid. You learn a new thing everyday. 🙂

ThePinkster

Most definitely wrong.

If you’re planning on bleeding your Reverb regularly get down to your local motorcycle shop and pick up a bottle of 2.5wt fork oil. It’s about 1/3rd the price of RS stuff and does the job perfectly.

I use it on both of mine and never had a problem.

andyl
    Free Member

it just means the fittings. Make sure you flush out the bleed kit before switching oils but it is best to flush it anyway as old oil will attract dirt and fluff which you don’t want in your post/brakes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reverb bleed – reusing the oil – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.