Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How much more flexible are 140mm Revelations compared to the old 130mm ones?
  • tomtomr

I'm looking for a set of 140mm forks to go on a Meta 5.5 frame, and have around £300 to spend.

So far I've narrowed down my choices to 2010 Revelation Races (QR), Fox 32 Vanilla R (QR15) or 2010 Rockshox Recon 351 Solo Airs (20mm)

The Revelations obviously have the weight advantage there, by about 300-400g I believe. However I'm not sure how flexy the QR 2010s are? On my last Meta I had QR Fox Floats which were much more flexible than I like, and I eventually replaced them with Pikes which were obviously quite a bit heavier.

My needs for the bike are a bit different now – previously I used my Meta for all kinds of riding, right through to DH. But now I have a Supreme too, so the Meta will be used for long xc rides though to xc gnar (or whatever you want to call it). So I'd definitely like to keep the build lighter than my previous one if possible.

I have 2007 130mm Revelations on my hardtail, which I find to be pretty stiff for a QR fork – but my question really boils down to how much more flexy are the 140mm ones, especially now they've lost a bit of weight?

Cheers, Tom

rs
    Free Member

Once you go 20mm you won't want to go back.

tomtomr

RS – I don't think you read my post, I've owned 2 sets of 20mm forks. Although to be fair the post title didn't reflect the question I was asking really… edited now

rs
    Free Member

I'd still want the 20mm forks on there. Standard quick releases are just an inferior system in my opinion. It might not be essential for regular XC but it'd still be preferable.

tazzymtb

but it's heavier 😯
    I've got 130 rev's on mine and am debating 140 mm new ones (actually lighter than 08's by about 1/2lb or some dt swiss xcm 130's as they are marginally lighter but very stiff, even without a frankenstein front wheel.

takisawa2

Out of intrest, how much is the weight difference between some 454 Coil Pikes & some Maxle Revelations ?

Northwind

The latest Maxle revs weigh basically nothing, my 150mm travel u-turn Teams are under 100 grams heavier than my 130mm QRs IIRC. The whole chassis is different, but in terms of effective stiffness they're all much of a muchness IMO.

Comparing the older Revs, the maxle ones were stiffer than the QR ones but by a negligible amount. I had maxle wheels so i got forks to match but I'd really have no issue with getting QR ones.

tazzymtb

454 coil pikes are about 5lbs
    new maxle Revs vary depending on the model

tomtomr

Cheers guys, hadn't seen Rockshox do a Maxle version of the Races until I saw that table. Unfortunately Fishers don't seem to bring them into the country… 👿

tazzymtb

jenson USA 😀

Marmoset
    Free Member

I can't say I notice any flex in my 2010 140mm QR revs – they replaced some RC41 XCAM's and we're pretty much the same weight as those. I'm running them with a steel XT QR and it all feels pretty solid to me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How much more flexible are 140mm Revelations compared to the old 130mm ones?’ is closed to new replies.