Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Revelations – Technical Question
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve a set of these 140mm – Uturn – Dual air.

Still having a mare setting these up and I’m thinking of getting rid.

When they have no air in them they compress fully to 140mm or so no problem. I have them at around 110 odd psi and there is no way they are getting more than around 100-110mm when I’m riding at these pressures, even on big compressions or landings. Is there anyway to get full travel out of these for a bigger guys like me or should I just move them them on to a more svelte rider and get something else more suitable for a 100kg + rider?

All help gratefully received.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

What sag do you get at 110 psi? can you run less pressure?

Northwind

Less air, or, perhaps less compression damping- which damper do they have, motion control?

ichabod
    Free Member

If its any consolation I don’t get full travel out of mine either and I’m 65kg…

ichabod
    Free Member

correction.. I can get full travel.. by running about 50% sag!

nickjb
    Free Member
    joolsburger
    Free Member

thanks I think there’s no cure they just aren’t built for high pressure living!

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got the same fork and have no problem getting full travel out of them infact they are the plushest set of forks I own. My initial thought would be to check your compression damper over and replace the oil.
    I run mine at 150psi in both chambers by the way

joolsburger
    Free Member

OK that’s interesting they do get full travel without any air in them so I figured it wasn’t a compression damping/hydraulic lock issue. Does having the + and – chambers equal affect the available travel I wonder as I’ve been running mine with less –

jairaj

If you put too much air in the negative chamber it can suck the travel down a little but other than that I don’t think it should effect the max possible travel. FYI – RS recommend a max of 15 psi difference between the chambers.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

My thought about the damping is that the damper may be slowing the high speed compression of the fork stopping you getting full travel. With the air out of the fork you’ll be compressing the fork slowly so this might hide a damping problem.

Too little negative air will also stop you getting full travel. I always set my negative air by keeping pumping the neg chamber up until the fork just starts to pull down, usually this requires a bit more pressure than the poss chamber.

Northwind

joolsburger – Member

thanks I think there’s no cure they just aren’t built for high pressure living!

Not convinced, tbh I have similar issues at 60kg! I think the parts are all good but the setup is just not right for everyone. A bit of tweaking has made mine much better. Or perhaps I should say, more to my taste.

My theory is that they’re set up for the US long-travel market, ie, people who want a 6 inch bike but ride things we’d choose a 4 inch bike for. Same people that buy 160mm bikes with 69 degree head angles. So they want their forks to use the middle of the travel easily and never hit anything so hard as to make that a problem.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Revelations – Technical Question’ is closed to new replies.