Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Revelation World Cup 9mm QR to 15mm?
  • nixon
    Free Member

Hi,

I need some advice please: I’ve found a set of Revelation World Cup forks with 9mm QR for a really good price locally, but I’m after 15mm maxle. Is it possible for me to swap out the lowers for a 15mm set like these? I’m happy with doing the swap from my own mechanical proficiency point of view, it’s just whether it’s technically possible i.e. there aren’t any differences between the QR and 15mm versions of the fork other than size of the dropouts.

The other thing is, would I make a fair bit of my money back selling the QR lowers on? As adding £170 to the fork price for the new lowers makes the deal a lot less appealing, but if I can get a good chunk of that back from the old lowers I’d be up for it.

Cheers

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes straight swap if same travel & wheelsie spec, check they’re not leaking air, have seen a couple of sets leaking air through the carbon crown into the steerer tube after bonding has gone between stantion and crown (yes really!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think you may have answered your own question on the resale price of the lowers by wanting 15mm instead.

Not many people want QR on 150mm forks these days.

michaelbowden

Yes mine are one of those sets leaking up the steeerer! Will be converting them to coil with the help of LoCo.

nixon
    Free Member

Hmm thanks for the info, putting me off a bit this leaking up the steerer lark, I like light stuff but it needs to be reliable. Maybe I’ll stick to an old fashioned piece of ally 😉

scar4me
    Free Member

FYI,
    you can use 15mm wheels on a QR lowers just using a 9mm Superstar QR and a perspex axle reducer.
    EBay link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290947933646
    (15/9 15mm OD 3mm wall on this link)

Scar
    P.s. This won’t be quite as stiff but won’t be far off a full 15mm axle lower stiffness.

Northwind

I’m pretty sure I’ve got a set of Revelation 20mm lowers in the garage if you want to go too far in the other direction

nixon
    Free Member

Sorry to waste people’s time but I’ve ended up ordering a set of DT Swiss XMM 140s, pretty light at 1570g for the 650b version (that was the other thing, the Rev’s needed to have enough clearance to be able to squeeze a 650b wheel in) and with an ally steerer, so no leakage issues hopefully. Brand new for under £300 as well, if they turn up alright I’ll post a PSA, pretty chuffed.

Having said that, it’s interesting to know that you can adapt from 9mm up to 15mm, thanks for the info I’ll keep that in mind for my second set of wheels.

And cheers for the offer Northwind, very good of you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Revelation World Cup 9mm QR to 15mm?’ is closed to new replies.