Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Revelation RLT on nukeproof mega frame?
  • risfuk
    Free Member

Hello

has anyone tryed fitting Revelation RLT ti forks on nukeproof mega frame?

thanks

freeridenick
    Free Member

defeats the point of the bike IMO. You want a lyrik really. very capable bike which needs similar type fork. This is my setup BTH

risfuk
    Free Member

i see where ya coming from but if i wanted a light build with 150mm of travel should be a good setup?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gravity-slave
    Free Member

Frame states for use with 150-170mm forks so it’s fine.

I currently have Rev RLT Ti’s (20mm axle) on mine as I had the forks already, so giving them a go on my new frame before making any more choices.

Using the external bottom cup headset to keep the angles slackish:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55503

It’s fantastic as a trail bike with 150’s on. Very fast and stable down but climbs well. I am considering Lyriks or Devilles, the back end would definitely take it but the Revs with dual flow are great forks for trail use.

Riding all sorts on it, the Peaks, Wharncliffe, mini DH, jumps, drops, trail centres and my friends have commented I’m faster both up and down than on my Meta 5 it replaces. At 30.5lbs with Rev RLT Ti’s, Flow rims, SLX cranks, Havoc bars, Reverb it’s also the same weight as my Meta despite the Reverb.

risfuk
    Free Member

cool thanks for the info and i think am going to go with the setup you have 🙂

do you know if the head angle is still at about 66?

plus do you have any pic’s of your bike

🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

by the way – The monarch isn’t great IMO – much better with a coil

I am off to BC on mine. Going to go big with Totems on it… 8)
    if you run the internal bottom cup on the 1.1/8 steerer
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55504
    then will still stay with similar head angle as my 1.5 lyrics
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55505
    but with a seriously burly front end!

risfuk
    Free Member

mmm was thinking about the rear shock maybe a fox may improve things….or have a coil and bigger forks when i feel ike going crazy 😉

kayak23

160mm Lyriks on mine with a Nukeproof external bottom cup headset as recommended. Saint cranks and burly tyres on it there so god knows how heavy.

risfuk
    Free Member

very nice…:)…that has to be a lot of fun when pointing down the hills 😉

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bloody brilliant downhill
    a couple of videos from Molini last autumn 😛
    I just about managed to keep up my a mate on a Trek session! apart from the real flat out fast stuff!
    http://vimeo.com/31643325
    http://vimeo.com/34327557

risfuk
    Free Member

sweet thoses trails look great dude 🙂 and the bike seems to be working well what the rear shock like??

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Yup, head angle is somewhere around 66-67 area. I checked with a phone app but our floors are wonky!

No pics of the bike yet but here’s a still cropped from a shot taken on my GoPro on the start of my local ride out:

http://gravity-slaves.re-create-it.co.uk/images/PhilDrop2.JPG

I was able to ride all the way to a track in the Peaks, drop the Reverb, hit some jumps I used to think about on the DH bike, then pedal back home.

Seriously considering selling the DH bike and spending the cash on a shock and fork – Bos both ends?

risfuk
    Free Member

cool good pic mate…would you say the front is stiff enough ?? and am in the same boat just getting my mega then if am happy with her i may sell my DH bike for some sweet addon’s

simon430
    Free Member

I too have been thinking about sticking some Revelation’s on there to save some weight as currently I have marz 55 2009 which weight in, on my kitchen scales, 2800g! Currently my front hub can only accept 15mm axle, so instead of buying a new front wheel could just buy revelation 15mm.

The new 34mm forks that are coming out are looking good mind.

freeridenick
    Free Member

risfuk = just a standard Van R, keeps it nice and simple – but works very well.

risfuk
    Free Member

i got a set of floats talas 160 but wanna try and make the bike as light as possbile for all rounder but have the same kinda of travel….think the van R weight is wee bit high!!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I tend to take direct lines through rock gardens. I went from a Pike the RLT and didn’t really notice much difference apart from on big hits or hard g-outs. Any lack of stiffness was made up for by much better damping and rebound with no packing or choking in the mid stroke.

I’ve ridden all sorts of forks from Z1’s to Dorados and Boxxers and am continually impressed by the RLT Ti’s. Still can’t decide if I should go for a bigger fork but for now am really happy with the bike as it is for what I use it for (getting a bit loose on the downs while covering some decent mileage).

bwaarp
    Free Member

I worked it out with an online geo calculator with a 559mm axle to crown height (545, plus the stack height of nukeproofs external headset) and it came in at about 65.5

Which was a bit slacker than the official stats….

So the bike should still be plenty slack enough with a 150mm fork, just not as stiff.

Risfuk, if you are concerned with weight it should be plenty light enough with floats or devilles and a good build. I’ve got quite a heavy build with coil forks that has come to 32lb.

risfuk
    Free Member

niceone bwaarp thanks for working that out for me 🙂

can i ask what build yours is please?

bwaarp
    Free Member

My trail configuration (crests instead of flow wheels):

*Nukeproof Mega (Medium, Yellow) The anodized frames are about 100g lighter
    * Lyrik U-Turn (you could save 1lb going to air)
    * Stans Crests laced to Superstar Hubs with 2.0-1.8 double butted spokes
    * Spank Spike Pedals (could save 150g here going to lighter pedals)
    * SLX double cranks with the heavy basguard (removing this would save another 100g)
    * Heavy 350mm seatpost that weighs 250g (KCNC’s can weight 170 grams)
    * Heavy saddle that weighs 250g (a Tioga Spyder for 70 quid weighs 150)
    * Formula Oro brakes, no idea of the weight but they are not the lightest brakes.
    * Syntace Vector Carbon 740mm bars (210 grams, these are silly light)
    * Thompson 1.5 stem (if you went tapered or 1 1/8th you’d save a few grams here)
    * SLX rear+front mech, slx shifters and SLX cassette (not good, they chew hubs). You could probably save a few hundred grams here going to a mix of xtr and xt

On my trail build I’m also rocking the bog standard shitty non-black chilli mountain king 2.2’s because I got them for free. You could save another 100 grams here by going to the black chilli compound or even more with a 2.35 high roller ghetto tubeless setup.

I’m a closet weight weenie.

soobalias
    Free Member

surely there is a more suitable frame if you want to keep the weight down.
    mines currently sporting my old 36Vans.

kayak23’s pic makes it look looooooooooong.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Meh the frames only 3/4’s of a lb heavier than a Nomad for half the price.

You can spend the extra money saved on some stupidly bling parts and have a bike with really nice new school geometry (low, long, slack and a short top tube).

bwaarp
    Free Member

As an extra I’m seriously considering swapping up to the large this summer if you want to hold off for a bit man.

What size are you running Kayak?

risfuk
    Free Member

indeed bwaarp why spend a huge amount on the frame when you can get parts which are bling and keep them, for a new frame 😉 if needed of course

how tall are you then mate? heard they quite a small cockpit!

bwaarp
    Free Member

5.11 borderline 6 foot… the medium is a little bit on the cramped side. It’s fine for trail riding, I’d just like it to feel a little longer :mrgreen: when mashing through steep rocks. Although I need to ride it more then try a large and decide. The thing is though, the short cockpit makes it fairly easy to pop the front end up despite the bike being so long (with chainstays that are a little on the long side as well). So I’m not sure….I need time….I might try getting even more wheelbase by slackening it out more.

I’m used to downhill bikes…..

risfuk
    Free Member

Am 6ft too mate….just got a large in black from descent gear as they got 100 notes off the RRP :)..am same too used to DH bikes but wanted summit to do it all and the nuke seems the way forward budget wise too 🙂

how do you find here for climbing and jumping..any good in the air?

freeridenick
    Free Member

My Mega (I am 5.9)

Black (small) either monarch or Van R depending on where I am riding
    1.5 coil lyriks or totems
    hope pro 2 on xm719
    maxxis minion 2.35 60a or 2.5 super tacky
    truvativ descendant cranks single ring
    ethirteen LG1 chain device
    race face atlas 725 bars
    sunline v1 stem
    avid code 4 pots / 200m front and back rotors

no idea on the weight – who cares. just carry less water if your bothered !

what a versatile bike 8)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

bwaarp – where do you ride?

I dithered between medium and large and went large with a 50mm stem/750mm bars and it’s bang on for me. 6′ tall with long arms (6’4″ arm span!) so still have loads of room to move around on it. Used to downhill bikes too, was worries the large would be too big to rag about but absolutely not. Proper capable mini dh bike (and more!)

heard they quite a small cockpit!

It does have a fairly short cockpit but the steep seat tube ‘pushes forward’ the head tube so the reach (bb to head tube) is longer than the top tube measurement would imply (by about 10mm per degree, so reach is 30mm more than if it had a 72 degree seat tube).

kayak23

What size are you running Kayak?

Small frame and I’m 5’8″(on a good day…)
    I was initially thinking I should go for the medium but this small came up at a bargain and I went for it.

I compared it directly to the small-framed Giant Reign I had before, lining up the bottom brackets. The front end was longer but the steepness of the seat tube kind of negated this so I thought it would be similar.

I’ve not had a chance to go uphill too much on mine yet, and have it set up heavier for ragging in the woods, but I will soon. I’ve only had it about a week….
    I have a coil shock for mine which will be put in for the alps and uplift days but I’m wondering if I’ll have to have it tuned as its bound to be different in action than on my Reign.

kayak23

[Thread Hijack] Incidentally, does anyone know the Torx head sizes that Nukeproof, in their wisdom, specced for the Mega frame? want to get the right tools to change my shock but not a whole set ideally..[/Thread Hijack]

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I worked it out with an online geo calculator with a 559mm axle to crown height (545, plus the stack height of nukeproofs external headset) and it came in at about 65.5

Which was a bit slacker than the official stats….

So the bike should still be plenty slack enough with a 150mm fork

Just checked – 150mm Revs have an a2c of 520mm, 535 with external bottom cup, 25mm shorter than above, which would put it roughly around 66.5 degrees, which makes my phone measure of “66-67” pretty good!

That means Lyriks at 160mm (545mm a2c) with internal cup would run about 66 as designed.

What headset are folk with 160mm fork running?

does anyone know the Torx head sizes that Nukeproof

Shock on mine is hex, pivots are torx.

Upper shock mount – 5mm hex
    Lower shock mount – 6mm hex
    Main pivots – T30
    Chainstay pivots – T20

Hopefully it’ll stop pissing down soon and I can go and ride it rather than measure it!

kayak23

Cheers Gravity Slave… 🙂

GavinB

What headset are folk with 160mm fork running?

Nukeproof 44IESS – seems ideal for slackening out using straight steerer forks. Pretty good value too.

Ace bike 🙂

bwaarp
    Free Member

Nukeproof headset here as I’m running a straight 1.5 steerer.

Just got some Hope V2 Special Edition Evo’s as I murdered my oros permanently.

The brakes are purdy….glad I didn’t go shimano.

kayak23

Shock on mine is hex, pivots are torx.

Oh yeah, dead right. Not sure about having torx on there too, another tool to carry in the backpack…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Revelation RLT on nukeproof mega frame?’ is closed to new replies.