Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Revelation rebound damper. Should it be airtight?
  • pictonroad

Resurrecting my summer bike and did my first ever fork strip down. I can hear air leaking in and out when I compress and its leaking a bit of oil. Should this unit be airtight? There’s noticeable vertical play on the central section that turns to control the damping.

2013 revelations.

pictonroad

Bump for the smart daytime crowd.

Thanks

James

njee20
    Free Member

That’s the compression damper, not the rebound Shirley. And no, it works by letting oil flow through it, so definitely not air tight.

Edit: may I also suggest you’re either more gentle with the adjustable, or get a proper socket – that top cap is mullered!

pictonroad

I am careful, bought it 2nd hand from here like that.

Sorry, compression, it was late.

I mean airtight to the outside. Air and oil come out of the gap between the silver adjuster section and the black nut part.

warpcow
    Free Member

My older MoCo’s all leaked a little around the threshold/floodgate adjuster. Didn’t think it ever made a difference to function. I seem to remember there being a pretty quick fix with an appropriately sized o-ring in the right place (don’t remember where, I’m afraid).

tmb467
    Free Member

I remember this as a problem on my old Pikes bitd

I had this saved if it’s any use?

pictonroad

Thanks for that.

Now I’m les tired and know what to google for it seems that my unit is sealed and that I’m stuffed. 😐

Balls.

DrP

It SHOULD be airtight, but as has been said, it was an issue on earlier pikes – mine used to drip if hung upsidedown(ish).

However, it’s not VITAL to the functioning (I reckon) to hold air, so I’d just do it up tight, ensuring the correct oil level is in there, and ride the things!
    It WILL make a sloshing noise if there’s a bit of air in there, as the piston moves through the air/oil and mixes it up….

DrP

pictonroad

I have a spare bog standard unit I’ve put in, have to put up with the performance, it leaked a LOT in the kitchen, can’t de be bothered with it pissing oil out.

DrP

it leaked a LOT in the kitchen

650b would have made your kitchen come alive..

You around Sunday at all?

DrP

otsdr
    Free Member

I think you can remove the rivets, replace the O-ring and then use pop-rivets to close up.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/switching-poploc-knob-rs-revelation-436769.html#post6118365

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

They always used to leak a tiny bit of oil, particularly if you worked the damper hard, but it shouldn’t really be sucking and blowing with fork movement.

TFTuned used to fit a slightly larger O ring which helped a bit. Chances are you just need a new o ring too.

pictonroad

Do you know where the o ring goes?

DrP

I know a finger goes in the o-ring. But not sure where the ring goes…

DrP

pictonroad

Do some work. Might go to Friston on Sunday morn.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Revelation rebound damper. Should it be airtight?’ is closed to new replies.