Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Revelation RCT3 travel limited after service
  • thenewstandard
    Free Member

My Revelation fork isn’t running through its travel fully. It’s leaving about 30mm of travel on the stanchions and makes a noticeable stop when cycling the fork, I was hoping that this rules out the damper?

My hopes are that I’ve rebuilt the airshaft badly or ‘the wrong way’. Am I correct in thinking that this most likely is an issue with the air shaft and not the damper?

Finally, when I serviced it, I found this piece of rubber, with a hole in the centre and four grooves cut into either side (http://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-Motion-Control-Service-Kit) which I put onto the end of the airshaft, which looked like where it should go, acting as some sort of bumper? Unfortunately the technical manual doesn’t specify this at all!

This is after a full airshaft service and it previously travelled the full length . Its a standard air shaft, no adjustment available on the travel in flight.

nuke

Do you replace the oil on the upper damper side? Previously Ive found slightly too much oil can restrict overall travel iirc

nickdavies

That little bumper just sits in the bottom of the lower leg – as long as you’ve put it outside of the upper tube it will just drop down there and you’ll be fine.

I would say as long as you’ve rebuilt the air shaft as per the tech manual it’s probably a problem damper side, normally oil levels. Check your model year carefully I’ve done that before got the year wrong and added the wrong amount of oil causing what you describe.

bedfo
    Free Member

This is hopefully not your issue but it’s something I had happen to my Revs and the end result was reduced travel

The smallest seal on the damper shaft failed (it had a nick in it) and this allowed the damping fluid to slowly run through into the lower leg. The lockout will stop working before you get a reduction in travel. I had the fork warrantied by fisher (as the lockout stopped working and it was topping out badly) but they missed the problem and simply topped up the damper. Over the next few weeks to original symptoms returned and as the oil level in the lower leg had built up enough I started to see the reduction in travel.

It’s easy to check for, 1. is the lockout still working? 2, if the lockout has stopped working undo the bolt on the bottom of the lower leg to see how much oil drains out. Should be no more than an eggcup full, any more and you have problems. Also you can take thet top cap off the damper side, and check the oil lever, it should be 82-87mm below the top.

Good luck with it…

Can you get full travel with no air pressure in the fork?

thenewstandard
    Free Member

Update on this:

I took the air shaft apart as I couldn’t get full travel with all air removed from the fork. When I removed the lowers there was just the standard 5ml of oil on each side that came out. I cycled both the damper and air shaft side to find that they can travel fully.

I think my issue is definitely with my stanchions being too worn, and that when the worn section reaches the bushings, it hinders its movement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Revelation RCT3 travel limited after service’ is closed to new replies.