Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Revelation probs – lack of travel / no lockout
  • theotherjonv

Got an issue with a pair of Revs picked up from here a few weeks back. I wasn’t getting full travel out of them and checked on the web and found something about ‘hydrolock’ where oil has migrated down past the seals into the lower legs.

So I stripped and refilled Friday night and travel has returned, however now the motion control lockout doesn’t work. Googled that and found – this could be a symptom of failed oil seals and hence not enough oil in the top of the leg!

Anyone with any experience – could it be the same cause for two different symptoms? Or do I need to send it off to TF or Loco for fixing?

BadlyWiredDog

Depends on your level of mechanical competence, but if you’re reasonably capable, buy a MoCo service kit from TFT along with some 5W oil and rebuild the damper with new o-rings, maybe change the wiper seals etc as well if you haven’t done for a while. Not difficult and all the instructions are on the RS web site and there are also some handy YouTube videos from SRAM if you search there.

Or you could just top up the damper oil and see what happens. If the seal between damper and lower leg is leaking, you may find the oil migrates again and you end up with hydraulic lock again.

Jamie
    Free Member

Got an issue with a pair of Revs picked up from here a few weeks back

With so many issues may it be worth contacting the seller?

Unless you were made aware of the problems of course.

theotherjonv

With so many issues may it be worth contacting the seller

Didn’t mean the original post to read like that. No, I don’t, I bought used, got a deal I was happy with and took the risk on doing that. I am mechanically competent so will try a MoCo rebuild next.

stumpy01

Yeah, the two symptoms are linked. Sounds like you either didn’t put enough oil in the damper leg or you are losing oil to the lowers again.
    You’ll notice the lack of lockout before the travel reducing.

I serviced the damper in my Reba’s a couple of weeks ago & the new seals were noticeably tighter.

theotherjonv

Sounds like you either didn’t put enough oil in the damper leg

How dare you!

115ml with a syringe. Might stick another 10 in and see what happens.

stumpy01

What size syringe? I only had a 20ml syringe so had to do 5 and a half squirts – I had a ‘was that 4 or 5’ moment but was lucky as I only just about had enough oil so could work it out from that.

If ur sure you put the correct amount in, then I’d say damper oil’s leaking into the lowers.

theotherjonv

60ml syringe. Nearly 2 fills. Difficult to lose count!

mudpup
    Free Member

Just had exactly the same issue Clicky
    Bought this Seal kit from ebay for £8, some fork oil from CRC, spent 2hours yesterday tearing everything apart and changing the oil whilst watching the tech video on youtube (reckon i can do it in 45mins now i’ve done it} and it seems to have done the trick.
    Saved myself £80 in the process.

theotherjonv

Right, that seems to have gone well. Travel is back, lockout seems to kick in after a small amount of travel. Just have to ride them a few times and see if it stays like that. Thanks Mudpup for the tip off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Revelation probs – lack of travel / no lockout’ is closed to new replies.