Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Revel in my misfortune…rattling noise then bang from car.
  • duckman

So driving to work and car starts to make horrible chain like rattling noise. Then closely followed by a loud bang 🙁 which left this lying in the middle of the road..

I drive very carefully to work, with an increasing number of battery not chargeding messages…So then,any advance on a dead alternator?

hora
    Free Member

Clutch-related?

STOP DRIVING THE THING.

duckman

I have, car in car park; lorry coming to collect it.

hora
    Free Member

Well at least you don’t have oil on the ground etc. Hope all is good.

tracknicko
    Free Member

why do people continue to drive when their car goes wrong?

donsimon
    Free Member

why do people continue to drive when their car goes wrong?

I did after talking to the mechanic and him saying it was OK. Next?

hora
    Free Member

I know but I wouldn’t drive it one bit unless said-mechanic had his head inside the engine bay first!

duckman

Because I was on a bend on a fast country road with no pavement and no way on contacting garage at 7.15am?

vorlich
    Free Member

That looks…sub-optimal. 🙁

Hope it’s not too expensive.

Let me know if we need to rearrange tomorrow evening.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

crank pulley?

is it a diesel?

you may be about to learn what a woodruff key means 😕

wwaswas

pulley cover thingy – any belts obviously missing/wrapepd around bits of engine they didn;t ought to be?

sssimon
    Free Member

you’ve broken a belt tensioner, definately don’t drive as chances are the same belt that drives your alternator also drives you water pump and the car will likely overheat and cause a hell of a lot more damage

voice of experience 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

Looks like a cover of some sort that is press fitted – may well have taken out an alternator cable when it came off.

jwt
    Free Member

Wife driving home week last Thursday, sudden harsh vibration from NSR wheel then as she slow’s down loud bang and the rear of the car drops.
    She had managed to pull off the road, and found that all the wheel nuts had come out and the hub had dropped onto the inside of the wheel, but had containued to revolve (very lucky!).
    We ‘think’ someone had loosened the wheel nuts and just the locking nut was left tight, but that eventually was vibrated loose.
    Got lucky, could have been very nasty.
    Unexpected mechanicals in moving vehicles are not fun, hope its a cheap and easy fix.

trail_rat
    Free Member

not german is it ?

i really hope its not otherwise that could be costly if your pulleys come loose……

duckman

Terry; it will be going up to Fourdun tonight, nice ride home. It is French,the last French car I will ever own.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I thought most cars had the water pump driven off the cam pulley no?

BTW what is that bit, cant quite work it out from its mangled form.

bencooper
    Free Member

We ‘think’ someone had loosened the wheel nuts and just the locking nut was left tight, but that eventually was vibrated loose.

I bought a Morris Minor van off the big brother of a friend – got it half a mile down the road, and the left wheel came off – returned to find him shamefacedly holding the wheelnuts he’d taken off and forgot to put back on 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

Has the rattling now stopped?

duckman

slackalice – Member
    Has the rattling now stopped?

Posted 29 seconds ago # Report-Post

Yes it did, wasn’t sure if that worried me more tbh.

duckman

Cam pulley and belt,phew!

hora
    Free Member

JEEEZ that is LUCK

Non-interface? That could have ruined your engine!

duckman

Yup, I’ll take that.

itstig

The cam belt snapped on my very shabby works van a month ago, it needed a reconditioned head because of damaged valves and cam shaft and bearing carriers on head its self. No damage to any pistons….only cost £1500 more than it is worth, glad i wasn’t paying.

avdave2

found that all the wheel nuts had come out

I once made the mistake of painting a rim only to discover that you must make sure there is no paint in the bolt holes or your bolts will undo as you drive along. Fortunately I stopped as soon as I felt the very unnerving vibration and discovered the problem.

molgrips
    Free Member

If the cam belt had snapped you’d have stopped, interference or no.

It’s surely part of the cover for those parts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If the cam belt had snapped you’d have stopped, interference or no.

It’s surely part of the cover for those parts.

+1

duckman

Sorry, driven by the cam/crank? also runs the power steering and the battery wasn’t charging because of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Auxiliary/accessory belt is not the same as the cam belt.

Cam belt is toothed and links two halves of the engine together – if it fails you’re toast. It’s under covers to protect it from road dirt.

Auxiliary belt is just a V shaped rubber one and runs the water pump, often another one runs the power steering pump.

Then there’s another usually flat ribbed belt to drive the alternator.

hora
    Free Member

If an Aux belt goes it can affect the water pump which is also causes the cambelt to skip teeth bending valves though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

on french cars its often 1 aux belt does it all molgrips – rather a tortuous path to replace the thing n all

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Revel in my misfortune…rattling noise then bang from car.’ is closed to new replies.