Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Revamping an old frame – possible end weight?
  • pedlad

Just musing about doing this at some point in the future but thought I’d tap into the expertise of the STW:

I have an old rigid diamondback steel mtb which is only used for child ferrying duties. Just wondering about striping it, having it powder coated and replacing most componants:
    new mid range tubless wheels
    single speed drivechain inc cranks
    new ridgid carbon fork – can you get these with 1″ steerer
    new stem handlebars
    Guess I’m limited to V brakes as no mounts on chainstay – maybe hydro rim brakes?
    clipless pedals

Does that sound like a good plan? what do you think likely end weight would be?

Or am I trying to polish a turd and be better off looking at something like a 456c which I also quite like the look of bizarly!

wwaswas

I think you caould end up spending a lot of money on what was a fairly low price bike when it was new.

I use an Inbred frame with carbon forks and various bits of ‘spare’ stuff for child/trailer duties and it’s fine.

You could probably get a decent Inbred frame from the classifieds for £70-£80 – not much more than a decent strip and respsray.

[edit] sorry I think you want something for more offroad duties than town riding, maybe? Comments about the Inbred still stand really – I’d rather run an Inbred with a rigid fork than a 456 – it’s that bit lighter and more forgiving. on a Carbon 456 I’d go for suspension, tbh – maybe a whippet for rigid?

TheBrick
    Free Member

new mid range tubless wheels

V brakes

You will have to be careful in your rim choice as many rim intended for disk use have thinner side walls as they do not wear. Also if you are running it on road as a commuter you will be looking at commuter tyres, winch tend to need tubes and are very puncture resistant.

If you just want the bike for commuting and child carrying duties just strip it down rebuild with new cables, cut the bars narrower than you would want for mtbing and ride. You will just throw money at an other wise poor bike with dodgy results. with all that money you are spending on it just buy a new (to you bike).

pedlad

Thanks, thought it may be erring on the money-drain side of things. I use it as a kid-carrier now and was considering it as extra choice for proper mtb’ing on the hills when I fancy a change from the FS.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Revamping an old frame – possible end weight?’ is closed to new replies.