Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Reunion….(school)
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So just walking home from a reunion type thing as we speak, clearly my new friends are of the cyber type I’ve never met. However it would seem some of the folk I’ve not seen in 20 years or have seen through rave induced eyes are the reason I hung about with them I’m the first place.
    I think tonight’s moral of the story is don’t lose touch with the people who shaped your future.

alpin
    Free Member

Due to some shitty, unforeseen circumstances I’ve met up with an old friend.

Through neglect on both parts we’ve not had much contact over the last 8 years…..

Made me realise how good our friendship was and how foolish we were to take it for granted….

ulysse
    Free Member

Id rather tear out my own balls with acid dipped crocodile clips, the past is best left exactly there.

Caher

When I go back to my home town I meet up with people I knew in primary and secondary school.
    Still get on even if we have very different paths.
    Going there next week.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ya say that but….
    My wife hated school, with a passion it would seem. We have these conversations nown again and I always come out with the same shit (apparently) we had the years of our lives at school. My wife hated hers.
    Talking to the folks tonight I swear it was the best thing ever, young ones, Jason and Kylie, aggasi, Alan bastard, pills, fubar, 20/20, thank God I didn’t go to the local disco! End in tears and all that ….

mattbee

A couple of old friends are definitely friends still, even if we rarely see each other.
    A few more are probably only still friends precisely because we rarely see each other.

funkmasterp

Id rather tear out my own balls with acid dipped crocodile clips, the past is best left exactly there.

This

My wife hated school, with a passion it would seem.

And this

Wally

10K run with my daughter and a school mate of 30 years with his daughter, yesterday. They now both go to our old school. All a bit too “League of Gentleman” on paper, reality is a little different of course.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, mates you had at the time BITD were fine for a short while. When you (I) end up bailing them out for the 5th time then be accused of shagging thier (then) GF it kinda grates and is reason enough to ditch em’.

I went back to visit, and to show MrsBouy, a couple of years ago. It’s still the beautiful place it’s always been (World Heritage Site, so never going to change) and the location and landscape is still gorgeous. Then we popped into my local pub (back then) and it was full of dumb idiots, like they were BITD.

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve just started to have a virtual reunion on Facebook. Loads of old pictures from school trips and parties. Quite interesting to reminisce. I haven’t actually spoken to any of them for years. There’s a few a quite like to catch up with and hopefully will do at some point and plenty I don’t remember at all. Also found out that a few are now dead which is a bit sobering.

LeeW

Started catching up in person with a few friends from school a couple of years ago. Had lost touch for 15+ years. Was great the first couple of times then it all started sounding very similar every few months. Same old stories.

Gets boring very quickly but I can stand it for a fee hours a couole.of times per year.

milky1980
    Free Member

Got a few friends from my school days but only actually went to school with one of them!

School was hell for me and left some emotional scars so I don’t look back at that period at all, so this:

sums it up for me. Occasionally get a friend request from one of my old class which is bizarre as they never bothered with me at the time. Have had one come to me and apologise for making my school life a living hell a few years ago, they had no idea they’d done it. Only found out through a mutual friend after I’d had a discussion about school reunions with them a few months earlier.

My educational years is a part of my life I left behind a long time ago.

Pigface
    Free Member

Still really good mates with a few people from when I was 16+ one friend from when I was 4 but he is having some problems, have tried to help but that was rejected. Classic mid life crisis for him.

CountZero

Sorry your early years were so shitty. I rarely see anyone I was in the same years with, but there are several people who I hung out with while at school who were a year below me, and who are still close friends.
    I have a number of ex-girlfriends from thirty-odd years ago who I’m still close friends with.
    A friend should be a friend for life, unless something unpleasant happens.

deadkenny
    Free Member

School reunions are just a dick waving contest to boast about each others amazing lives, mostly replaced by Facebook.

Kuco

**** hated school with a passion. The day I could officially leave was one of the best days of my life.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m happy to say my mates from school are still my mates for the most part – 40 years old and most of us have been friends for 35 of them.

School reunion though, I’ll take the acid dipped crocodile clips please, okay maybe there’s the odd one or two I was friendly with and lost touch with… but for the most part it would be the same old FB bullshit, hours of waiting your turn so you can spill a highlight reel of the last 20 years, perfect life, perfect job, perfect kids, oh the sights I’ve seen etc over and over to each other.

I try to live in the here and now with en eye on the future and if I want to take a trip down memory lane it’s to laugh at stuff I did with my friends and loved ones, not some nameless face you sort of remember but is more like an mix and match of 3 different people.

ulysse
    Free Member

Sorry your early years were so shitty

Quite the opposite really, apart from the odd one or two, i like to recall i was reasonably popular school.

I simply came to realise that apart from the ones i grew up with before and during school years, and still remain mates and in reasonable contact with still, the only thing i have in common with the rest is being forced to share a building with a couple of thousand people i’ll never give two hoots about, the only difference being, i’ve never pretended otherwise

NZCol

I have 3 good mates from school days, we catch up a bit and always have a ski and golf weekend. We spend t mainly trawling facebook for giggles. I hated school with a passion and made many enemies.

SaxonRider

My high school graduating class celebrated its 25th anniversary reunion a couple of years ago, and I actually wish I could have been there.

I am pretty realistic about the place my high school past holds in my life, and don’t feel sentimental about it at all. At the same time, high school did represent the last big period in what I would consider to be the first, and most formative, part of my life, and I am grateful to all those who made the good bits what they were.

Funny enough, most of us – and we’re talking dozens of people here – still maintain some vague connection, if only through facebook, and it turns out that some of the people I disliked the most back then have turned out to be really decent people.

RustySpanner

Have been invited to reunions, but if I didn’t like people after five years forced proximity, I’m hardly likely to like them now.

Two really close friends from yer actual school.

They introduced me to an extended group of a couple of a couple of dozen friends (including their kids, parents, siblings etc) I met from 11 – 16.

We all get together a few times a year, occasionally go on holiday together etc.

I can barely talk to them for months but they are always there.
    One friend’s parents in particular are almost like surrogate parents to me, always there with open arms whenever I’ve needed them.
    They are like that with everyone.

rob2
    Free Member

Still keep in touch with a couple of friends from school. I moved away 25 years ago and they never left the town.

About 15 years ago before I was married my best mate and I and a female friend from school went to a pub. I’d fancied her since school. He walked home and , ahem, did the rude thing. Felt pretty fed up but about 3 years later I, ahem, well. It’s all very ‘close’ in the north east. She lives in New Zealand now like!

Anyway, I’d quite like a school reunion but school was t the best time. Tell my kids now to make the best of it every day.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Yuk. Left it all behind a long time ago, and glad to do so. While I remain proud of much of my Scottish background, the one thing I loathe is the religious bigotry. Made my mid to late teens pretty miserable at times.

chewkw
    Free Member

We are still who we are exactly the same but older. 😛

With the exception of one or two who became so wealthy they don’t even want to acknowledge us. Sort it nobody cares about their wealth because they were all obtained by harming the environment and people (native). 😮

jamj1974

Have a few friends still from school and the reasons
    I liked them then are the reason I still like them now. There are a small number who have got back in touch and I have enjoyed catching up with – but these are friends I lost touch with as they moved away, not people I didn’t get on with in the first place.

School reunions mind – never, ever will go to one.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not one from then and don’t want any either – I have no idea what a single one of them is doing now and I couldn’t care if they ran past me with their arse smothered in acetone and on fire.(I’d probably throw some more at them)
    I have zero interest in them, the school, the city or anything else to do with any of it including most of my family.
    There’s a reason I walked away 30 yrs ago and it still stands today.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Reunion….(school)’ is closed to new replies.