Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Returning Laptop
  • chiefinspector
    Free Member

Bought a new laptop on the weekend as the old one went on the blink. Saw one i liked and bought it without a problem. Got back home and the computer worked fine but the resolution of the screen was not great. I went into the settings but it was already on the highest setting.

Got the wife to take it back to the shop yesterday to get a replacement only to be told that they won’t take it back as it’s already been opened. She said the manager was a total arse and want’s to make a complaint about him. Before i go in all guns blazing what are my rights regarding this about getting a replacement?

The display model had a perfect screen but this one is unacceptable. How are you supposed to know it’s defective before it comes out of the box?????

wwaswas

place laptop on bench next to display model.

Demonstrate difference.

get replacement/refund.

Of course if there is no difference it might be tricky.

Drac

It’s faulty and not fit for purpose you can get an exchange.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product/

bruneep

Got the wife to take it back to the shop yesterday

😀

Grow a set.

dmorts

The laptop may not have the correct driver for the display installed on it. Unusual but maybe that’s it. A side by side comparison in the shop is a good idea

trail_rat
    Free Member

if the one in the shop was fine

i wouldnt be asking for a refund first of all – go in , show them the computer and say ” doesnt look like that one – thats what i bought not this”

as above they will probably put the correct driver on.

Asking for your money back should not be the first port of call – thatll be why the managers gone defensive.

as you have opened it and used it – and i presume set it up they have no obligation to take it back if you bought it at a shop and have just decided you dont like it – unless faulty.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

[/quote]Grow a set.

I knew i’d come across a neep in here sooner or later 🙂

She had the day off yesterday while i had to work. Beleive me, i’m ready to throttle the manager but that won’t solve anything. I have a half day on friday so i’ll take it there and put it next to the display model.

The wife did tell me that the guy at the help desk agreed that the resolution wasn’t great but quickly changed his tune when he got the manager. Both of them then tried to tell her that it was ok.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Not after a refund, just want a replacement that works correctly.

nealglover
    Free Member

If a side by side comparison wasn’t done when your wife took it in, that’s what needs doing.

(Can’t imagine why they wouldn’t have already done that though ? Seems obvious to me)

jon1973
    Free Member

This is a good argument for buying stuff on line (even if you collect something in store), as you can benefit from the Distance Selling Act, which means you can return something within 7 days, even if it’s not broken and you’ve opened it.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

I guess it’s a lesson learnt and going forward i will only buy goods like this online.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Returning Laptop’ is closed to new replies.