Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Returning a car
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Long story short, we bought a new car a little under six months ago. It’s been to the garage with a recurrent intermittent fault three times in that period.
    First time no fault found, second [a] fault found and fixed, didn’t solve the issue and third time diagnosed with a software fault (about a month maybe six weeks ago) but we’re no further down the line now – I’ve since (on the dealer’s advice) logged a case with the UK arm of the manufacturer, (about a week ago) but nothing heard since.

I know my magic time frame is six months so I’ve got a bit of time to play with but not a lot.

Given the lack of forward movement I’m thinking that this weekend would be the point to say enough is enough, I want it fixed by [date] or I want new.

So has any one returned a car? Any ideas how much kick back to expect from the dealer? (who have for their part been very good) Any ideas how long it’s likely to drag out or if there are any pitfalls of me to be careful of? Am I entitled to new new or can they replace with a prereg/ similarly used?

Ta

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi. A few years ago I bought a used car from a Ford main dealer (It was a Rover 600, so we are talking about 10 years). That developed a few faults and after about 3 months I returned the car..
    The dealer was very good and agreed a swap for something of similar price from his stock.

So my guess is if the car is used, this could be an option. If it was brand new then would the finance company step in?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Isn’t the 6 months taken from when the fault was first reported?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

monkeysfeet – Member
    …If it was brand new then would the finance company step in?

It was brand new, I’ve no idea really if it’s something they will get involved with our just spectate and sign off.

ghostlymachine – Member
    Isn’t the 6 months taken from when the fault was first reported?

In terms of refusing the car, I believe it’s six months from point of purchase, but I may well be wrong. In either case the time difference isn’t big enough to be a concern.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Bounce it back at them – diagnosed and accepted fault is the manufacturer’s responsibility and up to them to sort.
    You’ll have to do it in writing but other than that they can’t say no.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Returning a car’ is closed to new replies.