Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Returned horn tooting…
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

…What’s that all about?
    A car turning right is followed by another. The second car decided to change lanes and move towards my lane, which has no obstructions (until he tries moving in there). I give a toot on the horn as a warning that I’m there. He give a return toot of his horn immediately and continued the manouvre, nearly hitting me as a consequence.
    It’s not the first time I’ve experienced this return toot.
    Are people so lacking in self awareness and have a belief that no matter how poor their driving is that they can do no wrong?

matt_outandabout

Yes.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yes many people are cock wombles, doubly so when they are behind the wheel of several tones of metal.

I recently had a near miss / road rage incident where a BMW driver was drifting in to my lane on dual carriage way in relatively slow moving traffic, no real space to move in to or need to move or probably intention just not concentrating as he was on his phone. I gave him a toot as the space he was drifting in to was occupied by my bonnet. His response was to hold down his horn and accelerate in to the lane I was in, in to the space in front of me (which was a sensible braking distance fortunately) while holding down his horn and proceeded to do an emergency stop.

He then got out of his car (still on his phone) and started raging so I gave him a smile and a wave and just as he lifted his foot to stamp on the front of my car I pointed at my dash cam and mouthed for him to smile for the camera.

He went a rather impressive Puce colour and retreated back to his car quite quickly and accelerated away quite quickly. I sent the footage to the Police, I believe he got a visit.

allthepies
    Free Member

Chapeau hip ! 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

People don’t like being dissed apparently.

scaredypants

did he indicate ?

if so, then I’m afraid you lose – you can perform any manoeuvre at any time as long as you indicate

(before, during or after)

Gary_M
    Free Member

As long as you toot your horn and/or put your hazard warning lights on then the normal rules of the road don’t apply. That’s a fact.

GrahamS

did he indicate ?

The BMW driver???

shermer75
    Free Member

scaredypants

The BMW driver???

God, no Graham – the one in the OP
    (all German executive saloons / ultimate progresswagens are exempt from indicator requirements and can, of course, perform with impunity any manoeuvre at any time)

iainc

(all German executive saloons / ultimate progresswagens are exempt from indicator requirements and can, of course, perform with impunity any manoeuvre at any time)

😀

Indeed, they also have bluetooth phone setups, so I reckon this one was an imposter…. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Quite common in Town to hoot and pull into a space no bigger than your Grans handbag in front of you, without using indicators.

I had a truck swerve into the fast lane of the A1 last night, I hooted and got a full on set of high beam and other Xmas tree accessories blinded in my rear view..
    Git. 🙄
    Mind I probably disturbed his Pron watching on his iPad… 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

Indeed, they also have bluetooth phone setups, so I reckon this one was an imposter….

…unless he was texting his mistress on his secret phone whilst using the bluetooth to talk to his broker and short sell mining stocks.

binners

I like it when someone decides they’re going to change lanes at the last millisecond by driving straight at the space you’re about to occupy, causing you to slam on and/or take rapid evasive action

Then having clearly just tried to kill you, they then give you a wave.

stumpy01

captainsasquatch – Member

Are people so lacking in self awareness and have a belief that no matter how poor their driving is that they can do no wrong?

It’s the second bit. It seems now that it is far better to get into an apoplectic rage & go in all guns blazing, rather than admit you might have made a small mistake & give a wave by way of an apology…

The last time this happened, a complete knob jockey in an Astra GTC decided he was going to come down a slip road, which turned into a third lane on the dual carriageway I was on & just slew across to the outside lane without taking into account any cars that may be in his way. He virtually drove into the side of me & only swerved back when I hit the horn……Cue the shaking coffee bean/feed the chickens hand gesture followed by him screaming ‘**** **** ****’ at me so loudly I could hear it in my car (He & I had our windows up!!) and finally a long stint of horn honking just to press his point home….it’s alright mate, I just prevented you piling your car into mine & causing massive delays for other commuters & a large insurance headache to sort out, but no…..you’re right….I am a ****…. 😆

Rockape63
    Free Member

There definitely seem to be more people driving around these days with absolutely no care for anyone else who might upset their progress. The other day I was driving down a quietish country road with a couple of cars in front and behind. Some tool at a cross roads (with give ways) couldn’t be bothered to wait the approx 10 secs for the cars to pass, sticks his nose out to try and force someone to let him pass. Needless to say I just drove past however the woman behind pulled up to let him go.

johndoh
    Free Member

I witnessed a random act of randomness this morning (no horns involved though) – driving down a narrow car-lined road and where I was there were cars on both sides and I was following another car (at a bit of a distance). Further down there was a car waiting in a gap and when the first car passed he pulled out and started coming towards me. Obviously I stopped but there was *JUST* room for us to pass. I looked at him quizzically as to why he did it when he could see me coming and could see there were no further gaps and he just shouted at me that he’d ‘been trying to get up the road for 10 minutes’.

So, instead of letting me past quickly and efficiently, he pulled out and then took longer to continue on his way as we slowly edged past each other.

Muppet.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I had some tool (lane 1) who decided that even though I was in lane 2 on a dual carriageway that they wanted to be in my lane exactly where my bonnet was (no indication) and continued to persist with their manoeuvre even though I was leaning on the horn. 😯
    Clearly on the road an apology is considered a weakness and should never ever be offered.
    Still I had the last laugh when I shot out his tyres at 90 mph before he careered off the road into a petrol station and subsequently exploded in a ball of flames.
    Or did I dream that?

johndoh
    Free Member

Clearly on the road an apology is considered a weakness and should never ever be offered.

It isn’t a recent phenomena – Disney had it spot on way back in 1950…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZgiVicpZGk[/video]

takisawa2

I pictured a chap in a beret also.

wwaswas

Were you in London?

You were Tooting

He was Tooting Beck

igmc.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Returned horn tooting…’ is closed to new replies.