• This topic has 54 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Retrofolk..any idea what this is?
  • mick_r

Parkpre did Ti, steel and aluminium – it isn’t any of them (they also ran front mech cable under the down tube).

I’m with you on the uncertainty of it being a Merlin – it 100% ISN’T the same as one we have here. Ours also has quite s-bendy rear seat stays if that helps to identify it.

bearnecessities

I’d say a Merlin Malt

Deffo not 🙂

smokey_jo

Ribble cycles did a tange tubed frame with that finish in the 90’s. I had one for a while before it got nicked. It looks very similar if it isn’t one. Merlin cycles did polished alloy frames (malt series) or steel Rock Lobsters which were all painted.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Handsome dog?

…a mail order frame only you’d see in MBUK years ago.

And it seems to pre-date v brakes….check the cable hanger on the rear stays.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

On closer examination, there’s a decal on the seat stay that says something like ‘quad’ stay?

Marin went for champagne coloured frames in 1994-95?

But the cable routing along the top tube throws me…looking reminiscient of a mid 90’s Orange p7.

And it’s obviously not an orange, going by the non-wishbone rear.

Hmmm 😐

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If it helps date it, I had those forks on a 1996 Diamondback. They’re pretty good for 60mm elastomer forks.

bensales
    Free Member

Not an Orange, they always had the ‘fork’ style seat stays. But it is early 90s. Come the mid-90s bikes had lost the canti-cable boss on the seat stays in favour of v-brakes.

Those XT mechs are around 1993/4, but the v brakes are circa 1996.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Back in the day a mate had a very similar frame by ballistic.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Nice, that. Is quite similar to KHS though, but the 1993 catalogue does not have the reversed integrated seat clamp. But does have similar cable guides including the canti guide http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/KHS+Archive/Catalogues/1993/
    P’raps it’s from a nearby year?

chestrockwell

Not sure what it is but as mentioned, it’s mid 90’s. The canti bridge and what look like M737 XT parts confirm this.

I wouldn’t pay £140 for it to be honest as you can get much better for less. If you are happy to get a 90’s bike you could easily pick up a good bike with better parts from one of the established brands for less.

bearnecessities

EDIT: Scrap that..

bearnecessities

It’s a piece of crap.

geoffj

🙁

What’s up with it?

bearnecessities

Frame’s nice enough, whatever it is (nice rear stays), but it’s a bit shagged as a bike. Certainly not worth investing in sorting out.

It’ll make the money back in bits & I’ll just keep scouring. First dud in (a dozen?) bikes I’ve bought, so can’t complain.

JoeG
    Free Member

Nice looking frame, IMO. 🙂

Fork service manual can be found here.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Retrofolk..any idea what this is?’ is closed to new replies.