Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Retrofitting privacy glass to Ford C Max
  • frogrocket
    Free Member

Anyone know somewhere in/near Manchester I could get this done?

Getting a quote from the dealership where I am buying the car from (58 plate 2008 model) but wanted another quote to compare.

Thanking you!

momo

Local window tinting firm? Just don’t go for drug dealer spec black.

footflaps

You mean replacing the glass or just getting a tinted film fitted?

frogrocket
    Free Member

Think I’d prefer getting new glass in there rather than tinting, as the film might come off after a while.

Open to suggestions…

wwaswas

get a tinted film professionally fitted and make sure the front is allowing a legal amount of light through.

frogrocket
    Free Member

Any recommendations for reputable places that could do this work?

nealglover
    Free Member

make sure the front is allowing a legal amount of light through.

You can’t apply any aftermarket tint to the front windows or windscreen anyway.

Any company that says you can, don’t understand the law properly.

Think I’d prefer getting new glass in there rather than tinting, as the film might come off after a while.

It won’t, but most companies that are any good offer a lifetime guarantee anyway.

Google will find you plenty in your area.

ransos
    Free Member

Anyone know somewhere in/near Manchester I could get this done?

Getting a quote from the dealership where I am buying the car from (58 plate 2008 model) but wanted another quote to compare.

Thanking you!

We test-drove a couple of c-maxes with the privacy glass fitted, and thought it made the interior really gloomy. YMMV etc.

gonzy
    Free Member

it made the interior really gloomy

i’ve got privacy glass on my c-max and i kind of agree that it does make the interior a bit gloomy especially when the interior fabric is black too
    the other downsides are that it reduces your visibility when parking at night too and if you have a baby on board sign on the rear screen, it cant be seen from the outside as the rear screen is also tinted
    …but having said that its not that bad
    i reckon the positives outweigh the negatives as during summer it reduces the amount of sunlight glare that comes into the car, at night time it reduces the amount of headlights glare you get from vehicles behind you, you can leave stuff in the back and it cant be seen…especially good for bike transportation, and it generally makes the car look a bit smarter especially if the body colour is black or silver

footflaps

and if you have a baby on board sign on the rear screen

Not that anyone takes any notice of them anyway….

njee20
    Free Member

if you have a baby on board sign on the rear screen, it cant be seen from the outside as the rear screen is also tinted then you’re a blithering idiot as they serve no purpose whatsoever

FTFY.

Edit: too slow, what is the point of them though? I always just think of the Simpsons “now people will stop ramming our car intentionally!”

FWIW I do notice the reduced night time visibility in my Golf with tinted rear windows, not the end of the world, but does make a difference.

nealglover
    Free Member

and if you have a baby on board sign on the rear screen, it cant be seen from the outside as the rear screen is also tinted

Not sure if serious …… 😕

bruneep

Do you have ugly kids? 😉

gonzy
    Free Member

and if you have a baby on board sign on the rear screen, it cant be seen from the outside as the rear screen is also tinted
    Not sure if serious ……

the wife insisted on having one put on when the newborn arrived…she saw my point of not bothering with them once she realised they cant be seen from the outside and all they do is obstruct the view out the back

Do you have ugly kids?

no but i’ve got an ugly bike

johndoh
    Free Member

and if you have a baby on board sign

You will have a baby and they often appreciate not having direct sunlight on them. I chose privacy glass on my current car for specifically this reason.

Defender
    Free Member

You could try window shades, they’re available for most cars rear windows (B pillar back) and rear screen, as they can be removed very quickly if/when needed.
    I have them as well as dark rear glass, but then I have a glass roof to adjust the interior light level.

Solo
    Free Member

i’ve got privacy glass on my c-max
    I really do struggle to understand the obssession with having this on cars. I’ll never buy on with this option fitted.

Oh and by the way, it’s, ” pri Chavacy glass “.
    FTFY.

Cougar

This “baby on board” thing is really irresponsible in my opinion. They’d be much safer in an ISOFIX car seat.

johndoh
    Free Member

I really do struggle to understand the obssession with having this on cars. I’ll never buy on with this option fitted.

See above – I explained why I chose it.

There are these which provide much better protection than a simple blind, but not as effective at keeping the whole interior cool as privacy glass as they can’t cover the rear quarterlights (especially so in estates like mine).

Solo
    Free Member

See above – I explained why I chose it.
    I’ve read the thread. However, what you appear to miss is that Chavacy glass completely destroys the aesthetic of a car, some more so than others though, granted. Depends which point you’re starting from.

Very expensive cars, specc’d with blacked out windows after the ‘B’ pillar only goes to demonstrate that money can’t buy taste.

Solo
    Free Member

This “baby on board” thing is really irresponsible in my opinion. They’d be much safer in an ISOFIX car seat.

It gets worse, didn’t those signs originate as an indicator for the emergency services. However, because people just fit and forget, I have the understanding that most folk ignore the sign now.

hooli

The signs were supposed to tell emergency services that there was a kid in the car if the driver was knocked out and it wasn’t immediately obvious. I guess with seatbelts, isofix and better car seats, people don’t get thrown out the car in a crash like they used to so the signs don’t add very much.

When I did my motorcycle test, the the instructor was quick to point out that the signs were really valuable as it pointed out people who were likely to not be paying attention to the road. He wasn’t wrong either.

Back to the OP. My Mrs didn’t want tinted windows either as she felt it was too dark in the car and she couldn’t see properly when it was dark.

johndoh
    Free Member

However, what you appear to miss is that Chavacy glass completely destroys the aesthetic of a car, some more so than others though, granted. Depends which point you’re starting from.

As I said, I chose it because have a baby and they often appreciate not having direct sunlight on them. I chose privacy glass on my current car for specifically this reason.

I couldn’t care less if someone else doesn’t like it, I’d rather my kids are comfortable in the car. I even say myself it looks like a hearse….

Solo
    Free Member

I couldn’t care less if someone else doesn’t like it, I’d rather my kids are comfortable in the car.

Hiding behind your children is pretty weak, we’ve had that here before. Which kinda makes me wonder how the rest of us have survived so long. You know, those if us who grew up in a time before Chavacy glass was available. But hey-ho, you pay for your chavacy glass now, and at trade-in time too.
    😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Which kinda makes me wonder how the rest of us have survived so long.

The option was there, I took it. They would survive like we did before (like I survived a childhood of vinyl seats and no air conditioning) but if there is an option I’m happy to take it.

you pay for your chavacy glass now, and at trade-in time too

Nah, it’s on a lease

njee20
    Free Member

Can you really not come up with a more ‘hilarious’ portmanteau than “chavacy” Solo? That’s even more annoying than the damn baby on board stickers!

Solo
    Free Member

Nah, it’s on a lease
    Uber Chav, don’t think you’ve cornered the market, remember who sold it to you.
    😉

Can you really not come up with a more ‘hilarious
    I say, I say, I say. Why did Njee20 cross the road!
    Better ?

Cougar

It gets worse, didn’t those signs originate as an indicator for the emergency services.

I’m reasonably sure that’s an urban myth. They exist for one reason only, and that’s to part the gullible from their money by selling them stupid yellow signs.

johndoh
    Free Member

Uber Chav, don’t think you’ve cornered the market, remember who sold it to you.

I really couldn’t give a fig what you think. And nobody sold it to me. It’s on a lease.

bruneep

The signs were supposed to tell emergency services that there was a kid in the car if the driver was knocked out and it wasn’t immediately obvious.

Utter twaddle

iainc

We had it as standard on wife’s CMax, which was metallic black. Looked horrid but kept car cooler which was handy when kids were young. She now has a silver/grey Soul which also has it and looks quite good as a contrast.

votchy
    Free Member

On a side note, does anyone else find privacy glass fitted to other cars really irritating as you cannot see through it when exiting parking spaces, at T junctions etc or is it just me?

johndoh
    Free Member

Do vans irritate you too then?

iainc

having had it on 2 cars I woulnd’t specify it in a new one. The 2 we have had were bought as ex demo’s. It definately hampers reversing, indeed probably contributed to a dark morning reversing bump that the wife had with a neighbbours parked car….

johndoh
    Free Member

indeed probably contributed to a dark morning reversing bump that the wife had with a neighbbours parked car….

Whilst I agree that visibility isn’t as good when it is dark and it can make parking more difficult, surely the answer is to concentrate more, not assume that not seeing something means that something is no longer there – surely the neighbour’s parked car was parked when she started the manoeuvre or was it teleported in during it?

rocketman
    Free Member

One of the Mondeos I drove before I bought ours had the Privacy Pack

It was like driving during a permanent solar eclipse

iainc

iainc – Member
    having had it on 2 cars I woulnd’t specify it in a new one. The 2 we have had were bought as ex demo’s. It definately hampers reversing, indeed probably contributed to a dark morning reversing bump that the wife had with a neighbbours parked car….

johndoh – Member

Whilst I agree that visibility isn’t as good when it is dark and it can make parking more difficult, surely the answer is to concentrate more, not assume that not seeing something means that something is no longer there – surely the neighbour’s parked car was parked when she started the manoeuvre or was it teleported in during it?

……yes, you wanna tell my wife that though ? !! 😆

unovolo
    Free Member

You will have a baby and they often appreciate not having direct sunlight on them.

My Cmax has built in Blinds in the top of the doorcards so no need for drug dealers glass.

gonzy
    Free Member

My Cmax has built in Blinds in the top of the doorcards so no need for drug dealers glass.

so does mine…as well as the drug dealers glass

unovolo
    Free Member

so does mine…as well as the drug dealers glass
    Christ it must be dark in the back with the blinds up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Retrofitting privacy glass to Ford C Max’ is closed to new replies.