Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Retro road bikes
  • martymac

i had a cougar, mine actually had a tiny sticker with terry dolans signature on it.
    selling it is probably the biggest regret of my life.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    My 1986 Cannondale frame and forks now back in the USA where it was made. Fat alu tubing before Klein made them hip

Cabnnondale and Klein both started making fraes around the same time.

Klein patented the use of oversize aluminium tubes in 1977.

ajantom

I think Klein first produced the Quantum in ’86? Not much difference between that and the later models, apart from the internal cable routing.

plus-one

What year are road bikes deemed retro ? I know retrobike is anything pre-97(mtb) I think but what about road bikes ..

Pre -2000 ?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Still have this pretty little thing tucked away in the lock up. Far from being in daily use though. Probably done less than 100 miles from new.

Vitus 797 by jackthedog2012, on Flickr

Thread here for any Vitus fans on the board.

pondo
    Free Member

*Wants retro steel.

ahwiles
    Free Member

plus one – Member

What year are road bikes deemed retro ? I know retrobike is anything pre-97(mtb) I think but what about road bikes ..

Pre -2000 ?

this is only my opinion, but…

if it’s got those little frame-bosses for down-tube shifters, it can probably be considered ‘retro’..

if it was made before those frame-bosses were invented, it’s definitely ‘vintage’.

my dad’s dawes impulse, now in my care, is a ’92. i’m old enough that 1992 still sounds like ‘the future!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting Jacko – your gruoppo and frame are probably 10+ years apart

redthunder
    Free Member

Raleigh Sprint Circa 1984

Saved from skip 🙂

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58162507@N07/8572341010/

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nZyZcx]Raleigh Sprint[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

petrieboy

That Vitus is lovely. My pal had one back in the day – I wanted one badly!

orangeboy
    Free Member

What’s that vitus like to ride. I’ve got a frame sat waiting for some time and motivation to build it

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sorry doing this on my phone and sometimes the img link/insert goes missing.

Would someone be so kind as to post up the pic of my pride n joy …. ta

http://imageshack.com/a/img820/6101/lwr8.jpg

drkpeak
    Free Member

Found the same frame at my local tip put to one side the other week, it was metallic light blue, looked immaculate, bloke would’nt let me have it, offered him money (I guess that’s bribery!) – no deal… I hope it went to a good home, love a Vitus.

drkpeak
    Free Member

Nice one Ro5ey, I now have bike envy before bedtime!

drkpeak
    Free Member

This is my ride, 87 Dave Russell 653, sweet as, ridden all yer round, prefer this to my CAAD10 and that’s pimpin.

View this post on Instagram

#vscocam

A post shared by @ ape_uk on

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Drkpeak… red bikes go faster! Like the head tube on yours

Got the img to work… here you go another shot of mine

mattsccm
    Free Member

At the minimum retro surely has to be down tube shifters, 7 speed max freewheel( freehubs can’t be retro), and exposed cables.
    However to me the retro idea is fake old stuff not real old stuff. The new Holdsworths that Planet X are punting are retro. What ever, genuine old and fake are not the same. All road of course.
    MTBS are pre any suspension with rim brakes and quill stems. anything more modern is just getting on a bit.

woodsman
    Free Member

mattsccm
    Free Member

Woodsman. Did that come from Coombs in Hereford? They had a beauty like that in there last weekend. How I didn’t get the wallet out I don’t know

slimjim78
    Free Member

I love my 98 Kona Kapu. Love, as in i’m chemically attached to this bike.

For me, road bikes aesthetically peaked in the late 90’s (love the Quantum’s too), and with the Kapu being steel (853 obviously) the old cliche stands true, it just rides so smooth.

I could kiss her. I do kiss her.

tlr

Built for the recent fantastic l’eroica festival.

Gearing and pedals are hard work, but it’s very comfy and lovely.

woodsman
    Free Member

mattsccm – no it’s not from Hereford. Glad you like it too! 🙂

TiRed

1993 Bronze fillet brazed Columbus aero Leo RC Shorter team bike with original Zipp 440 rims, Dura Ace 7400 cranks, Ultegra derailleurs and brakes, Cinelli bars and a nice period Flite Ti saddle. Pedals are not period 😉 . Will commute on it tomorrow.

jackthedog
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Interesting Jacko – your gruoppo and frame are probably 10+ years apart

Was this aimed at me? If so, how so? I’m not at all clued up with road kit.

orangeboy – Member
    What’s that vitus like to ride. I’ve got a frame sat waiting for some time and motivation to build it

I’m probably not experienced enough with road bikes to properly comment. It feels pretty serious. It’s not a ‘relaxed’ ride in any way – it comes into its stride when you start going fast. It’s pretty twitchy when you’re ambling along, then you put a bit of power down it flies forward. Before you know it you’re hammering along and everything has started making a lot more sense.

It’s a bloody lovely thing. I’d ride it more but it’s a little on the small size for me.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Retro road bikes’ is closed to new replies.