Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Retro MTB – Stanforth Kibo
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’m a sucker for old fashioned bikes, and I think the Stanforth Kibo looks quite good in some photos I’ve seen. This might not be the best pic, but it gives an idea…

However, the bike seems to be marketed as either a retro mountain bike, or an expedition touring bike. Would you say it would be suitable for mountain biking? I’m thinking of Scottish long distance routes, and off-road around Aviemore. I wouldn’t have the racks, and I’d consider fitting Jones’ handlebars if they’re compatible with a quill stem. I don’t know what the maximum tyre clearance is, but the spec says it comes with 26×2.2″ tyres.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The elder Stanforths ruined Saracen. This is the son of one (I forget which!) making what is essentially a slightly modified late 80s Saracen Conquest.

Why? Well, possibly it was to try and tap in to some hipster retro zeitgeist, and possibly because old MTBs from that vintage are essentially off road tourers, so would make a good touring bikepacking bike for today’s discerning nicheistas.

I suspect it’s more of the former. Still can’t forgive the elder Stanforths. From this;

to this

in a couple of years.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lots of us rode bikes exactly like this for years.

Bikes are way better now, most of us don’t ride bikes like that anymore.

For smooth trails it’ll ride OK. The brakes will be crap and wear through the rims.

deejayen
    Free Member

It sounds like it should be in the ‘MTB evolutionary dead ends’ thread…

The only MTB I have is an original Saracen. It has the high saddle, low bars, and long stem typical of that era, and I always feel nervous on descents. I didn’t think that the Kibo looked the same – I thought it harked back to an even earlier time. However you’re probably right in suggesting I’d be better off with an up-to-date bike.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Retro MTB – Stanforth Kibo’ is closed to new replies.