Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • Retireing to the sea side in the UK. Where would you go?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Still 15 years off for me and Mrs Spider, but we find ourselves talking about it more and more.

I fancy Lelant, just outside St Ives.

(Budget £350k. Must have a big garden.)

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Moray

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Redcar.

(you could buy Redcar for that money)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fife – multiple locations

choppersquad
    Free Member

Could never afford it, but I’d give my right arm to move to Croyde or Saunton.

cinnamon_girl

No thanks, too many old people!

scruff9252

Ardminish bay, Gigha. Always try to spend a couple of days there each year. Beautiful.

nickjb
    Free Member

This popped up in another thread: ticks a lot of boxes for me http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49723846.html

fasthaggis

South Wales.. the Gower or further West.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go for seaside, too windy. Lakeside, now your talking. You’d get a lovely cottage in the lakes for that.

ourmaninthenorth

Formby.

Just mind you don’t develop a Scouse accent.

Harry_the_Spider

If we doubled the budget and went for The Dales instead we’d have this.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24513534.html

MoreCashThanDash

Dumfries and Galloway or North Yorkshire.

richmars

North Norfolk

CountZero

cinnamon_girl – Member
    No thanks, too many old people!

😀
    There’s an enormous amount of coast around the UK that old people won’t go near, because it’s too far to the shops/post office/bingo, etc.
    Anyway, where would I go? Possibly South Devon, around the Kingsbridge/Salcombe/Beesands area, (if it’s good enough for Kate Bush, Damon Albarne…), or somewhere up in Scotland, maybe Skye, Mull, somewhere with beautiful mountains, beautiful beaches, and bugger-all in the way of people! Sociopath, me? 😀

Kunstler

I grew up in a seaside town (Wells-next-the-Sea in Norfolk). It is indeed full of old people.

For me it would be Arisaig.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

For me it would be Arisaig.

See you there!
    I was going to say ‘on the north shore of a Scottish sea loch, with the house facing south’

Peace & quiet.

Not Redcar, really.

steveoath
    Free Member

Barra.

kcal

mm, Arisaig..
    I stay in Moray as it is – not by the sea, but when the haar is in, its far enough away – can head inland. If there is cloud or heavy rain up country, can head for the shore.. Findhorn?

skids
    Free Member

cornwall or north devon, they have the best beaches

codybrennan
    Free Member

Troon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

North wales but mainly for the riding

Lived on the coast Over rated IMHO

Frankenstein
    Free Member

In the U.K?!

Sure you don’t mean Australia?

mrmoofo

Please don’t come to Shoreham By Sea. It is horrible

ampthill

Devon and Cornwall obvious draw. We thought Ilfracombe was on the up and alot chepaer than the west facing beach resorts

I’d settle for the South cost of Dorset or the isle of White. Say Lyme Regis

It would also depend if my kids were still in the Uk I wanted to keep in touch. I could have had a job in Penzeance once but its a long way from every where else

nick1962
    Free Member

Why just the UK,Spain surely?

ianfitz
    Free Member

Urgh, not formby. Spent my childhood there. Utterly tedious and soulless place. I left the afternoon of my last school exam and have only been back to visit my folks.

If you want quiet Northumberland is worth a look.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Troon.

What, like Cornwall Troon or currently getting blown to kingdom come South Ayrshire? Troon isn’t bad if you want connections I suppose, South Beach might have something for that budget but otherwise you’re heading into Barassie which has all the charm of the 60’s scheme it is. A nice scheme, don’t get me wrong, but a scheme nonetheless.

If you have no sense of smell or don’t mind the reek of ammonia Largs isn’t a bad call either or Seamill if you’re a wannabe football player.

If I was gonna retire on that sort of cash and didn’t mind being miles from anywhere then Dumfries and Galloway would be my first choice. Property down there is ridiculously cheap by virtue of its remoteness, something down Port William way (near Wigtown) with an easy 1000m^2 garden can be had for £150k with plenty of cash left over to do what you will to the property. Good views out into the Costa del Solway and IOM on a good day, near Kirrochtree and a reasonable distance from a few other stanes, what’s not to like?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Gairloch

codybrennan
    Free Member

Yeah, you might be right SK….Wigtown area makes a lot of sense, and I’ll be near some sweet trails….probably just stay here in Strathaven though.

Andy

Dumfries and Galloway for me to. Currently sat in Mothers conservatory watching the sun go down on Luce bay 8)

DavidB
    Free Member

Brixham has a lot of cheap property and is a great little town. We have already bought and done up our retirement place here. Just need the kids to leave home and we’re on our way down.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Somewhere on the west coast of Scotland, or one of the islands… Mull and Skye are current options that are being considered. We are thinking about it too at the moment, more like 25 years off technically, but I am holding out hope of a semi-retirement once the munchkins finish school… so 15 years should see us there.

Loads can and will happen before then though, so it is still in pipe-dream territory.

Probably

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Could never afford it, but I’d give my right arm to move to Croyde or Saunton.

Moving to Braunton with the GF in a couple of months all being well. The rental prices are pretty much the same as they are where I am living at the moment. I really don’t get the whole coastal thing though, my GF is obsessed by the sea but it really is wasted on me. Apart from looking pretty beaches really are a crap IMO. I will be mostly found on a bike on Exmoor.

redstripe
    Free Member

Christchurch, highest over 65 population in UK, owning a Honda Jazz / Hyundai i20 auto that can’t go over 20mph anywhere is a prerequisite around here, it must also run people over at crossings and smash into shop windows on a regular basis too. That said it is pretty nice having the sea, New Forest and Purbeck on our doorstep

5thElefant
    Free Member

Somewhere on Cardigan bay. That budget would go a long way.

timba
    Free Member

Inland where it’s cheaper, but easy to get to the seaside where all that salty water and onshore winds damage your house, your car, your bike, limits the variety of plants you can grow…

surfer
    Free Member

I am only a short run to the sea in both directions. Plenty of beaches here.

br
    Free Member

Coming from inland, and always living inland we love going to the coast. I wouldn’t want to live there though, but been within easy reach would be a good idea.

I can’t imagine that £350k will get you anything decent at the popular resorts with a decent view etc.

And don’t under-estimate the climate differential across the UK; it’s alright folk recommending the north of Scotland but it’s upwards of 10c colder across the year. We moved from Buckinghamshire to the Borders and it’s a constant 5c colder and summer starts a month later.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Retireing to the sea side in the UK. Where would you go?’ is closed to new replies.