Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Retired from a race early yesterday and still feel gutted…
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

100k English Marathon Champs at Crow Hill, first wooded section my saddle rail snapped a quick bodge I was able to keep it going but very uncomfortable. 65k later had to give it up.

In my defence I did think I’d only done 50k so thought I had to do another 50k and didn’t realise I’d done a lap more than I thought I had till it was too late (bike already packed in the car etc). Did I do well riding 65k on a broken seat on such a bumpy course (Riding a rather Stiff Chameleon btw) or should I have just manned up and ridden the rest no questions asked?! I’m more annoyed that 65k is just slightly longer than my normal Tuesday evening ride!

Also why does my back ache when I race but not when I’m riding normally?!

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

having ridden 100km round that course yesterday I can tell you why you’re back is stiff – it was hellish bumpy! I did it on my cotic soul and its one of the few events recently where I’d have preferred full suss, that field we went through on the loop before the start was just horrible. I found I wasn’t sat down that much during the day, a lot of time stood up on the big ring just because of the surface.

bad luck with the seat rail, its a sickner when your kit breaks. I had a frame snap at the selkirk merida the other year having driven up from basingstoke, was properly gutted.

one thought on the event yesterday, the time cutoff to do all 8 laps was pretty ‘sporting’, I just made it but when only 1 third of the entries for a 100km event (just looking at the male vets and seniors) can make the cut off it seems a bit cheeky to charge people £25 for the pleasure of entering

Matthew

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt I could have done better…but see my fvourite old news story

Cindy Whitehead

zaskar
    Free Member

You did great. Get a new saddle you’ll be fine for the next one.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Thanks guys Yes I was craving to have a full sus! Matt you did pretty good beat my ridding buddy Russle! Annoyingly comparing my times to the people who just got in before the cut off I would have just made it myself had I not woosed out!

Am contemplating getting a Cotic Soul after yesterdays harshness of my Chameleon is it quite good for your average enduro?

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

I did the transportugal on my soul at the beginning of June, 1000km in 8 days and didn’t have any back problems. Have also done all day rides round the peaks on it, so I’d endorse it as suitable for pretty much anything.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Retired from a race early yesterday and still feel gutted…’ is closed to new replies.