Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • retapping a BB
  • warton
    Free Member

just taken out my old bb and it was very difficult to get out the non drive side, tried to put another in, and it wanted to go in on an angle. I’m thinking the actual shell on the bike is fubared. would an LBS be able to re-tap it? or would it need a helicoil?

clubber
    Free Member

yeah, shop will chase it out and clean up the threads – shouldn’t cost more than a tenner.

warton
    Free Member

thought so, cheers

fourbanger
    Free Member

Unless you take your GF’s newbuild to a well known Cycle shop near Stonehenge who will cross thread it and then force the bottom bracket in without telling you what they’ve done, later claiming that the tap they use isn’t a tap, it’s just for clearing thread. ❓ ❓ ❓ 🙄

Bike has now started chewing through HT2 BB – awesome and shop are yet to fix/replace frame or replace BB. 👿

LBS 0 – Mail order 1

I would suggest that you might struggle, but if you find somone who can do it then please let me know.

thebunk

I had this problem, on a new frame. Turned out that I’d managed to get the cups the wrong way round…(don’t seem to be labelled on shimano BBs)

z1ppy

Fourbangers that crap 😕

As above most decent LBS will be able to chase out the BB thread, but it too damaged you can get BETD/Goldtech to install a helicoil

Sancho
    Free Member

fourbanger.
    how did the mail order get one point? 🙂
    surely it would be LBS -1 Mailorder 0.

Or is my pedantry getting in the way.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I wasn’t too impressed. Been going there for 15 years, since I were a nipper. They’ve helped me out in the past so I took it back in a few times hoping they’d offer to do the right thing, but I’m not going to push it. I just won’t spend anything else in there and I don’t recomend them to anyone that asks. Shame as the young lads in there are sound.
    Thanks z1ppy, 90 quid for both sides. It’s only a Kaffenback so not sure it’s worth it. Could always do it and drop the invoice off at the LBS. 😀

Sam

As clubber said – pretty straightforward for someone with the right tool and who knows how to use it.

Sancho
    Free Member

It may be recoverable without needing a helicoil. Despite the crap LBS.
    Ive saved a few frames with a bit of care with the thread tap set.

druidh
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member
    claiming that the tap they use isn’t a tap, it’s just for clearing thread

Essentially correct if it’s the standard “Park” tool they’re using. Face & Chase, not Face & Tap…..
    But they shouldn’t have attempted to do it if they didn’t use the right tool.

fourbanger
    Free Member

druidh, that may be the case, but either way they managed to cross thread it and make a complete hash of the the threads.
    New frame around 200 quid, BB tap around 200 quid. I’ll have pretty much every tool I could possible need for a bike then (assuming Shimano don’t bring out a new “standard” of BB!) and LBS’s will never touch my bikes again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘retapping a BB’ is closed to new replies.