Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Retaining Wall
  • yetidave
    Free Member

The wall between our garden and my neighbours fell over at the weekend, taking out their greenhouse.

We moved in 6mths ago and noticed that it was bowing a bit. Spoke with the neighbour and they said its been like that for 29yrs!

It retains between 1-2.5ft of soils to our garden. I could rebuild, but if we are insured, this is what insurance is for – right??

Unfortunately our insurer is only open to emergencies today, so struggling to find if we are insured, as a 40ft length of wall needs to be re-built I doubt its going to be cheap.

Anyone had similar experiences and what was the outcome?

project
    Free Member

We had the same problem, checked with insurance and they needed proof who owned wall, deeds of us and house next door didnt show up who owned wall so we paid half each about 24,000 shared between us, we needed a party wall surveyor, and various engineering drawings and deep foundations due to the height of wall 8 foot plus fence behind and 6 foot diffenece in garden heights, took about a tyear to get sorted.

Just build a fence easirer.

iolo
    Free Member

Don’t rebuild it yourself.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/girl-3-killed-unsafe-wall-2060092

Let insurance sort it. Put a temporary fence there to secure your garden if you want while it gets resolved.

yetidave
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Iolo. My thoughts are with the girls family, but a 5ft, 72ft long retaining wall overhanging a footpath is quite different beast to my 1-2ft high wall. Safety is at the front of my mind though.

Cougar

Are you sure it’s your problem and not the neighbour’s / joint responsibility? Check the deeds.

iolo
    Free Member

If it’s only max 2ft high surely just jake the wall way completely and landscape to the angle of repose. That way the bank will self support.

yetidave
    Free Member

I did suggest that we just pile the bricks up against the soil and leave them there with a fence on top. Would look fine from my side. 😀

I am assuming joint responsibility just now, and I think that the neighbour is as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Retaining Wall’ is closed to new replies.