Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Retail business help/advise
  • unsponsored
    Free Member

Is there anyone out there able to help me out with a few queries.

I plan to start a business in the very near future. It’s not a bike related business but will be selling outdoor gear – mainly walking, lightweight camping/bivi etc. This will be bricks and mortar as well as online.

I need to get some info regarding EPOS systems and which to avoid/investigate further, banks that are great to deal with (I have majority of funding in place but will need some additional access to funding as well as day to day stuff).

I’m also looking at Paypal, Sage and Worldpay for payments, again some real life experience pros/cons would also be gratefully received.

br
    Free Member

Good luck – don’t envy anyone setting out in retail.

Whatever you do, make sure you understand exactly the costs the are involved, both setting up and transactional.

chewkw
    Free Member

Very brave indeed.

All the best.

🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

One point a friend who operates a online site told me was that it is important to have the verified by visa or equivalent system. This transfer liability of fraud from you to the bank. The did not know this and got diddled for £13k. They now have verified by visa on their site!

What sort of markup and turnover do you have set out in your business plan out of intertest?

How many staff?

What’s your rent P.A.?

I think Epos only comes into it’s own with high volumes of stock/multiple outlets and can be quite pricey

unsponsored
    Free Member

Verified by visa will be a must. I have read a few bad stories about those that didn’t and fraud liability.

The shop system must be linked live to the website for stock etc, it seems an integrated or semi – integrated epos is best. It will be one shop with multiple employees.

Set up costs are calculated and the running costs etc are covered from the amount of projected sales (based upon an existing business).

ojom
    Free Member

Dynamics RMS is good.

cdaimers

My friend Alan based in Kendal has been selling online for years and now supports others to do the same.

http://www.sellyourproductsonline.co.uk/

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

There is a newish card shop in Bury St Edmunds. Not heard of the brand before. They use tablets with a blue toothed scanner for their tills. A PDQ (card reader) is also linked in somehow. I don’t know the details but it seem to work well. I guess the EPOS system must be run through an app.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Retail business help/advise’ is closed to new replies.