Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Restricted Motorbikes – gear ratios, acceleration, top speed, wear n tear????
  • onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Have had a restricted 398cc single supermotard bike for a while now.

Just the quickness in which I have to go through up the gears 5spd is unreal. Obviously it's no hayabusa so stupid speed wouldn't be achievable in the 1st few gears.

Just would like to know from biker's on here, their own experience/views on what the difference(s) I will feel in ponies once the restrictor has been taken off which is up in early August this year.

I have managed to get 80mph out of the 33bhp 398cc single engine once but that it screams too much to do that all the time so 60mph is the sensible limit for this at present.

I'm pretty sure I have a 15t ring up front and a 41t ring rear and that it is standard ring ratios to have iirc.

I get the gist that the restrictor wherever it is fitted will be limiting the amount of fuel intake through the carb and out the other end thus limiting the speed. BUT in terms of what, acceleration? and to what percentsage would it knock off top speed I wonder?

Also I think I can recall that it can wear out the engine if ridden over the limits of the restrictor – to what extent is this true?

Also what sort of mileage would a supermotard engine achieve before needing a rebuild, I'm sure I've seen cases of 20,000miles before anything needs redoing which seems not much.

Also when the restrictor comes off, a new full system exhaust will be fitted to define noise 😆 and to aid in weight saving, looks and I guess a bit of powergain as I will get it rejetted at the point of fitting.

Not sure how many motorbikers are on this forum but seing as it's a two wheeled forum, I'm hoping a fair few.

thankyou for any advice.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Take it you're on your 2-year period of restrictedness after your test?

I remember when I passed mine I went to get my 600 restricted. I was told not to bother, apparently it would be shit to ride and expensive to do/undo. Also the police had no way of testing it apparently. Suppose you might get bummed if you crash and the insurance found out, but you only live once…

So, no advice other than get that sucker derestricted!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Gat a bike that doesn't need restricting, Bros 400 being one for starters.
    BTW If you're so green re: motorbikes why have you chosen this bike? Colour? Logo?
    I don't get it, you first bought a bike and then are wondering what to do. You'll fit in here perfectly well.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

KTC -yes I've got 1 1/2 months left on my restricted license before it fully blossoms. I started off small and am gradually building upto a big bike but tbh, the 400 is perfect for my needs. pointless getting a big bike unless you ramp it down motorways doing boring mileage imo.

For starters, what 400cc doesn't need restricing if your on a restricted license. my 400 gives out 39bhp as standard and that's pretty below or standard than other bikes i.e. Ktm of similar type bikes.
    I'm taking it your being sarcastic as the last comment but to be frank, I'm quite the opposite. Of course, I'm a newbie to the world of motorcycling but then everyone has to start somewhere.
    Tbh, I get enough of that sort of attitude from my local dealer of past.

Great,- so any other people with experience of supermotos or restricting knowledge on here.

ta 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

more power = more acceleration, probably wont increase your top speed. You could use the extra power to get some more speed but you'd have to change the gearing by fitting a smaller rear spocket or larger front.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

I hit 75mph on my 125 yamaha trailway….they'res something wrong.
    Im 17 and need a faster bike im bored of this one.
    Bruce

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

@tinas – yes, I could I think go upto a 17t maximum on the front and a 36t or whatever's available to alter the top speed. (should of said I have considered doing this but seing as I want good low to mid range pull, I'll stick with the gear ring ratio I have at the mo). 🙂

@bikerbruce – you may or may not know that speedos on 125cc bikes scooters whatever do not tend to be accurate and can be off stating upto 15mph more than actual speed.

As you may know too, these sort of greenlaning bikes aren't built for top speed as they begin to get wonder in terms of handling especially when on a dual carriageway 😯

Really I guess, hoping and want confirming that when the restrictor comes off soon that I will notice a good bit of gain and that it will just open up as a new fresh bike to ride once I get the full aftermarket exhaust kit fitted too with a rejet too added for good measure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Restricted Motorbikes – gear ratios, acceleration, top speed, wear n tear????’ is closed to new replies.